Netflix: WideVineCDM issues

within the last 4-6 months, I've noticed the WideVineCDM crashes or causes issues that netflix can't run movies or TV shows.

what I've learned how to fix the issue:

go to "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data and delete the WideVineCDM folder.

then I close Google altogether and restart it and in the address bar type Chrome://components and at the bottom of the list, I click "the update button and it should reinstall WideVineCDM and you should be good to go again.

Q: is there a reason why this is happening? it seems to happen maybe once a month in some cases or a lot less frequent.. depends I guess.

-Chrisj1968

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It is caused by glitches within the intertube network. Once a month. When I used Firefox it was crashing 5 times or more a day.

geez, that'd drive some people to drink 5 times a day. they need to work on this feature to stop it. no excuse for this to happen.

I do not use it anymore. One time it crashed everytime I opened it and it sends crash reports to Mozilla. So I sat there and opened it and crashed it about 75 times with a report on everyone. They don't even care. I see them gone in less than 5 years.

What "security" or "privacy" apps are you running? I don't waste resources on that stuff other than uBlock and I've never had any issues playing Netflix or HBO content 

nothing other than stock Windows 10 assets. nothing 3rd party. I use Windows firewall as my firewall.

Just now, Boo Berry said:

If you're watching Netflix on a Windows 10 PC, I highly recommend using the Netflix app over using a web browser.

Gotcha.

5 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

If you're watching Netflix on a Windows 10 PC, I highly recommend using the Netflix app over using a web browser.

I got your drift. the app completely by passes the widevineCDM entirely! brilliant. I forgot about that app. wish I could buy ya a beer if you're ever in the reno Area.

5 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

I got your drift. the app completely by passes the widevineCDM entirely! brilliant. I forgot about that app. wish I could buy ya a beer if you're ever in the reno Area.

i forgot about my free Epix account as well (Through Charter Spectrum). so I am quickly finding that both netflix and Epix is giving me one heck of a collection of on demand movies. ;) 

29 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

The site has never given me any issues, all I use is Chrome

Forgot all about the app 

Did we really need another topic about this?  It is literally on the middle of this sub forums section. I wish you would stop creating threads for every thought you have, especially considering you already had a thread about this same topic. In the future it would be nice if you'd revisit your original thread so we can keep all of the pertinent information in one thread for future reference. 

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

Did we really need another topic about this?  It is literally on the middle of this sub forums section. I wish you would stop creating threads for every thought you have, especially considering you already had a thread about this same topic. In the future it would be nice if you'd revisit your original thread so we can keep all of the pertinent information in one thread for future reference. 

you needn't worry. I'm using the netflix app instead. got tired of the issues with Chrome.  here's one of my NY Giants busting a move for ya. thanks for being kind

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2Fstream1.gifsou

For the record I use both Netflix in Chrome/Firefox, along with the Netflix app and I've yet to encountered any issues with them. I tend to favor the app though, it's much nicer than viewing through a web browser, IMO.

I just wish Mac and Linux had official Netflix apps.