Blog for website

Question

Hi,

I've got a website with no CMS that I'd like to provide a blog section for.

I'm looking for tips about the easiest way to go about this? Is there a third party service and API I could use and then display them in a format that matches the website?

I was thinking about tumblr and it's api?

Cheers,

Alex

13 answers to this question

The rest of the website is fairly static.  I wanted to avoid wordpress if possible.  Besides the fact I don't know how to turn my clean and straight forward html/jquery single pager into a wordpress template.

I was after a platform I could just say "here blog to you hearts content" and have it appear on the website.

It's either use a third party service or find a simple blogging engine (with a basic CMS) I could query with PHP on page loads.

Unless it's easier to base my website on wordpress than I think?

16 minutes ago, Axel said:

The rest of the website is fairly static.  I wanted to avoid wordpress if possible.  Besides the fact I don't know how to turn my clean and straight forward html/jquery single pager into a wordpress template.

I was after a platform I could just say "here blog to you hearts content" and have it appear on the website.

It's either use a third party service or find a simple blogging engine (with a basic CMS) I could query with PHP on page loads.

Unless it's easier to base my website on wordpress than I think?

You could have the blog section of the website as a subdomain (like blog.yoursite.com) and install wordpress there. Find a nice template that would look a little similar to your main site's template and that's it, if you know your way around Wordpress :)

• Like 1

Nice solution! I wonder if I could go one step further and use wordpress as the engine and query that directly to display the content on the "main" domain?

That way the user can log in and blog in a secure manner and it will be displayed nicely on the single pager.

18 minutes ago, Axel said:

Nice solution! I wonder if I could go one step further and use wordpress as the engine and query that directly to display the content on the "main" domain?

That way the user can log in and blog in a secure manner and it will be displayed nicely on the single pager.

It depends, is your current home page a .html page? If so, you can easily replicate it in Wordpress by editing the template's home page with your static page content. If you're lazy and you don't want to do that, there's a way to use the static page as WP's main page in a frame, but I don't recommend that. :)

I'm a little confused.  You keep saying "one pager"

Is this a one-page website?  So you want to put a blog at the bottom of the page or something?

Maybe you need to give us more information.  Or the address to this site.  Where is it hosted?  They may have a solution you can install from its control panel.

As for Wordpress... you can build an entire website in Wordpress.  You have "posts" which are your blog posts... and "pages" which are web pages.  You can even have a single page with posts at the bottom.  It all depends on the particular theme/template.  It's very customizable.

I build all my websites in Wordpress... even those that don't need a blog.  

The suggestion that TDT gave of a subdomain is a good idea and you will be able to track the traffic between the blog site and your main domain quite easily. Plus it can help to give your main domain more authority. 

I'm also confused about this one page thing, I'm also confused about what you are trying to achieve with this blog. Your are essentially saying you want to make it possible for visitors to post? But that's not really helpful in regards to a blog to give your website better standing. It is difficult to control the content that way. I think you want more of a message board no? 

Or did you just want to start a conversation so that you could post that link for nibbleblog?

If you want a bare bones blog (no plugins or specific features, just vanilla blogging) then WP is overkill, it's quite bloated, is regularly attacked and needs to be kept up to date. I would go with something like AnchorCMS that is very lightweight and much easier to integrate into an existing website..

On 6/8/2016 at 6:28 PM, Axel said:

Hi,

I've got a website with no CMS that I'd like to provide a blog section for.

I'm looking for tips about the easiest way to go about this? Is there a third party service and API I could use and then display them in a format that matches the website?

I was thinking about tumblr and it's api?

Cheers,

Alex

Watch matches your requirements the closest is a static blog generator that just outputs HTML that you upload to your site. Static generators are a very popular category and there are a lot of choices if you search on GitHub

I like the design of Gatsby which has a live page edit feature:

https://github.com/gatsbyjs/gatsby

"Transform plain text into dynamic blogs and websites using React.js"

All templates, css, and content are hot reloadable — powered by Webpack.

Build sites like it's 1995. Files are translated into HTML pages at the same position within the file system. Add a markdown file at /docs/index.md and it'll be converted to /docs/index.html.

687474703a2f2f7a697070792e6766796361742e