MS: Devs Could Make Scorpio Only Titles "Up to the Game Development Community"

-So it sounds like there won't be any games that would ship that would be Scorpio only right?

-I don't know about that. We'll see. It's up to the game development community.

Game developers that are writing games...if they want to ship the game sooner if they enable dynamic scaling the game will automatically look better on Scorpio

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1232993

Seen this over on GAF, taken from a live stream

Doubtful a developer would. Between Xbox and Playstation, Xbox makes up 1/3 of the audience. Why a developer would opt to shave that audience down even further is beyond me, unless they opt to go Scorpio, Neo, and PC only.

Jez: Going back to Scorpio for a moment. If I'm using Nintendo DS as an example: new DS editions cannibalize the sales of older ones, and as more people upgrade, you end up in this place where you get games that are exclusive to the latest DS and aren't compatible with the older devices. Is that a concern with Scorpio and the Xbox One device family? Will there be games that are exclusive to Scorpio?

Dave: Our statement around this is that your games are going to work across our family. That's our belief, and that's our 'playing without boundaries' message overall. Will there be a range that developers will take advantage of in Scorpio? Absolutely, but again, that's going to be a developer choice. But, on our devices, all of your games are going to work. Period.

Jez: So you're saying that a developer couldn't choose to make a game that was exclusively 4K resolution, Xbox Scorpio-only?

Dave: We made that promise today: those games will work across the whole line-up. They have to work across the whole line-up.

http://www.windowscentral.com/interview-dave-mccarthy-xbox-product-manager

• Like 2

This isn't really hard you know, games on the XB1 already use dynamic resolution, it'd be simple to have a future game using that run at 4k on the scorpio and at 1080 or 900p or w/e on the original Xbox One.    A few years post Scorpio release, like 2019 or 2020 you'll probably see bigger differences between the games and not just a higher framerate, and resolution, but texture quality and so on.  By then though, more people will be ready to buy the scorpio and move up, so the original Xbox One user base will start to transition over.   I don't think I'll buy the scorpio right away, probably early 2018 like I did with the original,  probably around February. 

One thing that will be different though, will for sure be the ability for games to support VR, probably using the rift or the vive or hell, probably both.  

And no one is,  Phil said so, and a few other people have.     The only thing I see being an issue is if you want VR or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst this happening does concern me, its going to take a majority of Xbox owners to upgrade to the Scorpio before a developer will start to think along those lines. No point in aiming for a console that only 10% of Xbox owners own and leave out the potential sales from the vast majority.

I think eventually we might see a switch but it will be further down the line

10 hours ago, Skiver said:

Whilst this happening does concern me, its going to take a majority of Xbox owners to upgrade to the Scorpio before a developer will start to think along those lines. No point in aiming for a console that only 10% of Xbox owners own and leave out the potential sales from the vast majority.

I think eventually we might see a switch but it will be further down the line

A switch to scorpio only games coming out you mean?   Probably, but more like 2-3 years after I bet.   There's nothing new going on here for developers when you think about it.  They can make the same game and just let the game scale depending on the hardware it sees it's running on.

For the first year or two games will look pretty close and I think the only difference will be that they run maxed out on scorpio.  It comes down to the shares and how quick developers put more into scorpio, but really, they can still just put out the same game but with lower graphics for the original XB1 hardware, it's like they do on the PC.