Moving to a new phone and upgrading it to Windows 10 mobile

Stoffel

My girlfriend is using a L520 at the moment. We bought a L640 for her and i was just wondering what the best way is to move her over to the new phone and upgrading it to Windows 10 Mobile.

Let's assume that she wants to move everything over from her old phone, what is the right order to do things in?

Restore backup.

Update to W10M

Backup

Hard reset

Restore from backup

Am i missing any steps, or am i doing to many?

Just looking for some advice to get the best experience.

Cheers

Stoffel

Just bumping it back up in Mini Spy.

Somebody must have an opinion on this :)

vcfan
3 hours ago, Stoffel said:

My girlfriend is using a L520 at the moment. We bought a L640 for her and i was just wondering what the best way is to move her over to the new phone and upgrading it to Windows 10 Mobile.

Let's assume that she wants to move everything over from her old phone, what is the right order to do things in?

Restore backup.

Update to W10M

Backup

Hard reset

Restore from backup

Cheers

sounds right, thats how i would do it.

but when you mention moving everything, whats everything?

Stoffel
9 minutes ago, vcfan said:

sounds right, thats how i would do it.

but when you mention moving everything, whats everything?

I was thinking about data from apps like whatsapp, messages, pictures on camera roll,...

Does this make sense?

Dot Matrix
3 hours ago, Stoffel said:

Restore backup.

Update to W10M

Backup

Hard reset

Restore from backup

Cheers

That seems like a lot of steps. When I upgraded from my L920 to my L950, all I did was backup the 920, and sign in with my MS account on my 950. It automatically restored the backup. At that point, just upgrade to Win10.

Stoffel
7 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

That seems like a lot of steps. When I upgraded from my L920 to my L950, all I did was backup the 920, and sign in with my MS account on my 950. It automatically restored the backup. At that point, just upgrade to Win10.

The only reason i included all those steps was because you constantly read about doing a hard reset to get the best performance.

I can see how it goes after upgrading to W10M. If everything seems sluggish or battery life is poor i can then do the next steps?

This was the whole reason of this post, getting advice from people who might do this on a more regular basis :)

vcfan
21 hours ago, Stoffel said:

I was thinking about data from apps like whatsapp, messages, pictures on camera roll,...

Does this make sense?

the backup feature doesnt automatically back up EVERYTHING you have, so there are a few things you have to check. if the data is valuable, a lot of this stuff can be backed up to your PC  through usb just in case.

some apps' data wont backup because the way the app was built. im not sure if whatsapps backs up to the cloud with this backup feature, but whatsapp does have its own backup feature. open the app, go to settings->chats and calls and click backup. through usb, there will be a Whatsapp folder with the current date, you can copy this folder and restore it later.

text messaging backup is in the settings,so make sure thats already on. alternatively, you can download contacts+messaging app from the store, and this can backup and restore all your contacts and text messages on your device, so you can move them around through usb.

for photos, make sure the feature to backup to the cloud is already on. settings->photos+camera then change autoupload to onedrive. you can verify all the pics uploaded by checking your onedrive account. you can also back them up to PC with usb. just plug it in, and check the pictures folder. same deal for music and documents.

21 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

i only ever did that a long time ago for an early early insider build of W10M, and it was a little glitchy. not sure how it is now

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
welde10

I played it safe

Delete all unwanted apps

Reset factory settings

Update to W10M

Reset factory settings

Start as a new device, no restore

That's my way, no weird bugs or any other problems, so no need to do it twice.

Lot of stuff syncs to new phone so all is not lost.

PGHammer
On 6/14/2016 at 8:21 PM, Stoffel said:

Just bumping it back up in Mini Spy.

Somebody must have an opinion on this :)

Unless you are changing ecosystems (Android to iOS, for example), you simply log in with the same account and keep going.  When I added a phone (GNex), I already had an Android device (Lenovo A7-30F), so I logged in with the same Google account and brought over what made sense and added what phone-specific apps I needed.  I did something similar when I added the S7 - what changed with the S7 was due entirely to that the S7 has a more powerful SoC than the GNex (the GNex was running a newer version of N at the time - and still is).  Google's own setting-tracking system keeps things straight between the three different devices - despite them being associated with the same Google account (the same is true of Android emulators as well).  If an iOS emulator ever came to pass, why would it be any different?  (The same would be true of a W10M emulator, for that matter.)