[I know nothing but want to slowly learn] Randomly selecting an item from a list

Question

Hey guys/girls,

I want to learn either access, or some coding language slowly, and thought selecting a random game from a list would be a fun, possibly quick project. What language, or program should I use? I think it would be fun to have either a random choice selected from the entire list, but also have filters, such as 'platform' and then randomly select within a platform. I'm really just wanting to learn more: if this can be built in sql, access, excel, or an actual coding language.. 

What terms would be helpful in my search? What programs or places? I'm not really searching the right terms in google it seems.

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

If you're interested in databases and want to learn coding as well and want to use it for something practical then I'd possibly look into learning web development with MySQL and PHP. You'll probably also want to learn JavaScript so you can do cool interactive things with your code on the front end. 

If you're interested in game development, consider a desktop language and framework like C# and Unity 3D.

On 7/24/2016 at 0:17 AM, svnO.o said:

If you're interested in databases and want to learn coding as well and want to use it for something practical then I'd possibly look into learning web development with MySQL and PHP. You'll probably also want to learn JavaScript so you can do cool interactive things with your code on the front end. 

If you're interested in game development, consider a desktop language and framework like C# and Unity 3D.

On 6/14/2016 at 10:58 PM, Alladaskill17 said:

Hey guys/girls,

I want to learn either access, or some coding language slowly, and thought selecting a random game from a list would be a fun, possibly quick project. What language, or program should I use? I think it would be fun to have either a random choice selected from the entire list, but also have filters, such as 'platform' and then randomly select within a platform. I'm really just wanting to learn more: if this can be built in sql, access, excel, or an actual coding language.. 

What terms would be helpful in my search? What programs or places? I'm not really searching the right terms in google it seems.

Thanks!

I think he wants to make a Launcher type program for games that will launch a random game within a category - sort of like "Shuffle Play" for music.

It's humorous to imagine the target demographic of super bored couch potato game players but as a programming exercise it has learning potential.

For a Windows Desktop program, the main choice is C#/WPF or C#/UWP - UWP has advantage of working on Xbox and Windows Phone where random game launching might actually make more sense.