Trying to install Ubuntu...HELP!

3 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Have that same hardware setup on one system here and have installed many versions of Linux on it without any issue. I haven't ever set it up as a server though, if that makes any difference?

Good luck :)

Oh ok. I still haven't started the refund process. So how do I install Linux on this motherboard? Specifically Ubuntu Gnome Desktop Edition? Would be really grateful if you could guide me step by step!  :)

Instead of using a USB installation, why not download the .iso file and burn it to a disc. You can download isoburn to do this.Then boot it up and try to install from there? Just make sure that you change the boot order to DVD/CD/Removable Drive to first. This has worked every time for me.

Ok, will try that. Have to borrow a drive from a friend, so can only try later tonight. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, the video output itself stops, so I don't know if using a DVD will help. Will try anyway.

Just now, The Dark Knight said:

Ok, will try that. Have to borrow a drive from a friend, so can only try later tonight. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, the video output itself stops, so I don't know if using a DVD will help. Will try anyway.

It's worth a shot, I think. If it is a video hardware issue then you'll need to get that replaced.

Ok, thanks! Will try it tonight and revert.

On 21/06/2016 at 0:25 PM, The Dark Knight said:

Tried Mint as well. Same problem. I then retried Ubuntu Gnome with Lili. It now at least showed me something else. It said EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug?). After that, the blank screen and display power save mode.

It's a BIOS board for sure. I chose the MBR scheme for BIOS or UEFI option in Rufus.

in my Asus Bios there is an option EHCI handoff for legacy, check your bios for such an option :) i had it disabled for W7 but enabled for w10

So I burnt a disc of Ubuntu Gnome, and booted off it, I still have the same problem! I see the Language screen, the Install screen with other options, and then after selecting either boot Live or Install Now, I get a blank screen - as in no video signal.

EHCI has been an option in a lot of BIOS boards for a long time, before UEFI kicked off anyway. I remember having to adjust EHCI settings on laptops in a previous job back in 2010/2011. Are you sure there's no such option within your BIOS somewhere?

after reading through this thread it does sound like a driver issue the live discs are using that your computer doesn't like.

My suggestion would be to install a distro via command line. I don't know if you can do that with Ubuntu but I'd recommend trying to install ArchLinux. Its rather easy to install using the beginners guide on the wiki if you need assistance.

5 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

EHCI has been an option in a lot of BIOS boards for a long time, before UEFI kicked off anyway. I remember having to adjust EHCI settings on laptops in a previous job back in 2010/2011. Are you sure there's no such option within your BIOS somewhere?

Nope, no such option. I've checked and rechecked.

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

after reading through this thread it does sound like a driver issue the live discs are using that your computer doesn't like.

My suggestion would be to install a distro via command line. I don't know if you can do that with Ubuntu but I'd recommend trying to install ArchLinux. Its rather easy to install using the beginners guide on the wiki if you need assistance.

I don't think I'm upto the task of installing via command line as I am a newbie when it comes to Linux. I've been trying different distros over the years for all sorts of mundane stuff or simply for seeing what each one offers at a very basic level. But I've been able to use them all off Live environments easily on quite a few systems. This is the only motherboard I have come across that is giving me hell.

I had decided earlier to just return this motherboard, spend more and get a common one but I tried installing again only because 2 or 3 members suggested trying to install from a DVD instead of a pen drive. Since that didn't work, I'm just returning this board.

Thanks for all the advice guys, really, but I don't want to waste time because of this motherboard anymore.

^ yeah no NEW piece of hardware is worth that much trouble imo either lol

but if you ever do decide/need to try a command line install, the Arch Linux wiki really does make it a breeze, Arch was the first command line install I've ever done (though i did it in a VM just to see if I could and play with it :p )

True! :laugh:

Yup, will do it just for the heck of it. :)

9 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

True! :laugh:

Yup, will do it just for the heck of it. :)

If installing Arch "the Arch way" is a bit too difficult, then I suggest the Arch Anywhere installer ISO. Avoid the other installers and forks like Manjaro, Antergos, Architect, etc. In my own testing, the Arch Anywhere ISO basically does things right (e.g. not installing an AUR helper by default, etc.).

5 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

If installing Arch "the Arch way" is a bit too difficult, then I suggest the Arch Anywhere installer ISO. Avoid the other installers and forks like Manjaro, Antergos, Architect, etc. In my own testing, the Arch Anywhere ISO basically does things right (e.g. not installing an AUR helper by default, etc.).

Archbang has an easier installer, too. ;)

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Archbang has an easier installer, too. ;)

Archbang is a fork of Arch. :p Arch Anywhere is a vanilla Arch installer, which comes in handy when doing multiple machines vs the Arch way of installing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Archbang is a fork of Arch. :p Arch Anywhere is a vanilla Arch installer, which comes in handy when doing multiple machines vs the Arch way of installing.

that is really cool, I had never heard of the Arch Anywhere installer script before. I'll have to remember that for when I decide to play with linux myself again :)

edit: link if people would like

http://arch-anywhere.org/index.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boo Berry said:

I thought Archbang was closer to Arch than Manjaro was... :huh:

I used to use Crunchbang, Debian based. Same type of thing.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 6:21 AM, The Dark Knight said:

Oh ok. I still haven't started the refund process. So how do I install Linux on this motherboard? Specifically Ubuntu Gnome Desktop Edition? Would be really grateful if you could guide me step by step!  :)

Sorry, I had to leave yesterday after you PM'd me about installing on your hardware but I see some one else suggested burning the ISO as I had when replying to your PM. My system does have the option EHCI handoff for legacy.

5 hours ago, cork1958 said:

Sorry, I had to leave yesterday after you PM'd me about installing on your hardware but I see some one else suggested burning the ISO as I had when replying to your PM. My system does have the option EHCI handoff for legacy.

Ok, no problem! That's made the difference then on your board (EHCI setting). Mine doesn't have it.

5 hours ago, satysin said:

You tried acpi=off? I have had issues with that on some older boards.

Yup, tried all those options, no go. Anyway, I've returned the board. New one from MSI is already on the way! :)

Could have been a weird fault with the board that Windows doesn't complain about. Unlikely but possible. I have seen weirder things happen before :)

Hope you have better luck with the new MSI.

On 6/22/2016 at 3:16 AM, The Dark Knight said:

Windows 7 is installing without issues, as I knew it would. It is Linux only which is somehow incompatible with this hardware! This is why Linux will NEVER become mainstream!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Is there any way to install Linux or am I stuck?

On 6/22/2016 at 9:45 AM, Boo Berry said:

I believe the OP is using a pre-UEFI, BIOS-based board.

If Windows 7 works and activated, why not installing Linux in VM and see if it works?  You might try dual boot if you want.. otherwise use VM instead.