How does Google link ranking with domain

Question

We have a domain "a.com" which we want to rebrand to another domain "b.com" after which, we would sell a.com. 

At the moment, if you search in Google for a certain string, our website comes up first. We want to keep it that way.

How do we accomplish this while retaining our Google ranking?

6 answers to this question

I would still like some clarification on how this works if anyone knows... Obviously if we start b.com from scratch, it will have to work it's way up the rankings. What if we redirect a.com -> b.com for a period of time, would that help?

On 6/24/2016 at 0:56 PM, Bryan R. said:

I would still like some clarification on how this works if anyone knows... Obviously if we start b.com from scratch, it will have to work it's way up the rankings. What if we redirect a.com -> b.com for a period of time, would that help?

I don't know the answer. But I can perhaps volunteer some ideas to consider.

Google's ranking system is a proprietary trade secret to Google and any person claiming to have a definitive answer is either not in touch with reality, selling Snake Oil, or has done extensive testing which yields valid information for whatever they tested for a limited time window of validity. Changes to the Google algorithm have occurred literally overnight.

The fundamental pillar of the Google ranking system depends on how many other sites link to your site and what kind of "stature" those sites have. It is a logical consequence of Google's objective that your site ranking with a perfect algorithm would be 100% out of your control to alter other than making your site attractive to visitors.

Although there is a certain amount of wiggle room to game the Google Algorithm known as SEO, it is always wise to initially look at these types of ranking questions in the light of the fundamental purpose of the Google Algorithm. Based on my interpretation of that, the number one concern with your domain name change will be informing authentic third party sites (i.e. not cross-links from your own sites) that link to yours to update their links. Then on the next ranking, your numbers come out much the same.

And first glance I was thinking "how did you get a.com?"

:D 

Just now, Michael Scrip said:

And first glance I was thinking "how did you get a.com?"

:D 

Yeah, me too.

With a.com and the.com you could cover a huge percentage of book and movie titles which is another equally useless first thought.

Then I realized I had that thought completely backwards since the "a" has to be at the end, and then I thought that the number of useless thoughts a person can have probably exceeds the number of atoms in the universe.

So my first thought was the same as yours, my second thought was both dyslexic and stupid anyways so my learning experience is that if a Carpenter learns to "Measure twice, cut once" a forum poster needs to "Think ten times, type once"

18 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Maybe ask Google??

Nobody likes the answer that google gives on SEO which basically translates to "No easy answer, just Real Work" which is exactly the entire point of Google's search value.

In theory, there should be no history attached to his ranking. If all the key sites that Google used to rank a.com change their links to b.com then the calculation of the rank should be instantaneously identical. (after waiting for the site to actually get ranked which is an unknown period of time)

OK, if you have a site that is reasonably popular where you don't have a clue who is linking to you then you have a problem. But if your site is that popular the revenue from selling your domain can't possibly match the revenue loss from visitor drop-off so it is reasonable to assume you don't have this problem but just in case, let me point out that Google is NOT a Charity. They have no interest in storing your rank on some virtual stack and popping if off for you again in a new domain. You will need to take plenty of time with banners on every page reminding your site visitors of the coming domain change and to alter their bookmarks etc. Get them on your mailing list. remind them via email. etc etc.

Edited by DevTech
clarification