Linksys WRT1900ACS & QoS

Does anyone use this router and if so, how is the QoS on this router?  I'm looking at it to replace my current one.  I thought some input from current users might be helpful.

I've had a number of Wireless issues with it, just a few days ago had to roll it back one firmware, was trying to download a 60meg file to laptop and it kept telling me 1 hour, was only about 3 sec over wired, tried a reset, messing with the settings, finally rolled it back one version and it went back to normal, but have seen some issues with that version having to reset to the router more often because of some other wireless dropping issue, after reading the  linksys fourms I've been looking at some custom firmware from openwrt.

*my old net-gear was great for number of year till it gave out I should have prob just stuck to a newer version of it.

Edited by Dadwen

7 hours ago, Dadwen said:

I've had a number of Wireless issues with it, just a few days ago had to roll it back one firmware, was trying to download a 60meg file to laptop and it kept telling me 1 hour, was only about 3 sec over wired, tried a reset, messing with the settings, finally rolled it back one version and it went back to normal, but have seen some issues with that version having to reset to the router more often because of some other wireless dropping issue, after reading the  linksys fourms I've been looking at some custom firmware from openwrt.

*my old net-gear was great for number of year till it gave out I should have prob just stuck to a newer version of it.

I wonder if yours was just a bad lemon or if this is its overall performance.  I had liked what I saw about this model but wasn't sure how good its QoS is.  It looks like you just select the device you want normal priority vs high priority.  I was looking at QoS so I can setup the cellular carrier's wifi calling as high/highest, etc.  I was also looking at the ASUS one but, wasn't a fan of how it looked.

4 hours ago, Steve B said:

I wonder if yours was just a bad lemon or if this is its overall performance.  I had liked what I saw about this model but wasn't sure how good its QoS is.  It looks like you just select the device you want normal priority vs high priority.  I was looking at QoS so I can setup the cellular carrier's wifi calling as high/highest, etc.  I was also looking at the ASUS one but, wasn't a fan of how it looked.

Honestly just from messing with the wireless issue I had and what I ran across on the forums when I was first troubleshooting it, at this point I think it's more a firmware issue than a hard ware issue.

I would encourage you to view the Linksys Community Forum for Wireless Routers as the WRT1900AC/ACS had a multitude of issues to which I can attest to. I had mine replaced three times, the final being a model upgrade to the EA9200. It was a two month long headache so I personally would never buy a Linksys again. I just read a PC Gamer article the other day about "gaming" routers that focused on QoS.

On June 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM, hairbautt said:

I would encourage you to view the Linksys Community Forum for Wireless Routers as the WRT1900AC/ACS had a multitude of issues to which I can attest to. I had mine replaced three times, the final being a model upgrade to the EA9200. It was a two month long headache so I personally would never buy a Linksys again. I just read a PC Gamer article the other day about "gaming" routers that focused on QoS.

Thank you.  I'll do that.  It sounds like I should at least look at other models first for now.  I'm looking at some ASUS routers.  Thanks for the input everyone.