Chrome update will not start

The font in Chrome does not appear to be sharp. Instead, the fonts are noticeably jagged as though the zoom level is set too high. The zoom is at 100% and I have also increased/decreased the font size. Thinking that maybe an update would fix the problem, I attempted to see if an update was available. I get the following error when the update check tries to run: 

An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 4: 0x80070005 -- system level).

Google Chrome

I researched this error and tried applying the suggested fix which basically was to download SubInACL and then place a script into notepad and save it as a CMD file and then run it. After running the script and restarting, Chrome update still won't run.

The chrome version I have is 51.0.2704.103 m

It seems that it is not seeing your Net connection to update. Maybe download a fresh Chrome Version that you want to update to and install it over your current one.

23 minutes ago, cbrookhart said:

The font in Chrome does not appear to be sharp. Instead, the fonts are noticeably jagged as though the zoom level is set too high. The zoom is at 100% and I have also increased/decreased the font size. Thinking that maybe an update would fix the problem, I attempted to see if an update was available. I get the following error when the update check tries to run: 

An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 4: 0x80070005 -- system level).

Google Chrome

I researched this error and tried applying the suggested fix which basically was to download SubInACL and then place a script into notepad and save it as a CMD file and then run it. After running the script and restarting, Chrome update still won't run.

The chrome version I have is 51.0.2704.103 m

What operating system?  

Are you running from an admin account (assuming yes)

If Windows ... Start > type "services" > click on Service (Local) > 

Google Update Service (gupdate) ... see if it is set to Automatic (Delay Start)

and/or

Google Update Service (gupdatem) ... see if it is set to Manual

If that doesn't work ... you could try the offline installer here -->  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/126299

which could possibly rectify your issue.  If it doesn't, you may want to uninstall/reinstall Chrome using the offline installer.

Please note in the above link...

If you land on the regular download page, that’s normal. Even though the installers look similar, a special tag tells us which one is best for you.

On 6/26/2016 at 10:42 AM, jjkusaf said:

What operating system?  

Are you running from an admin account (assuming yes)

If Windows ... Start > type "services" > click on Service (Local) > 

Google Update Service (gupdate) ... see if it is set to Automatic (Delay Start)

and/or

Google Update Service (gupdatem) ... see if it is set to Manual

If that doesn't work ... you could try the offline installer here -->  https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/126299

which could possibly rectify your issue.  If it doesn't, you may want to uninstall/reinstall Chrome using the offline installer.

Please note in the above link...

If you land on the regular download page, that’s normal. Even though the installers look similar, a special tag tells us which one is best for you.

It seems that the Google Update services were disabled, which is why Chrome wouldn't update. Thanks for the help.

The next thing I wanted to look at was the font issue. I've attached a screenshot to show how the font doesn't appear to be crisp. In the screenshot, just above the sample search, see how the text looks different than the font in the search box? I'd like to get the font to look like it does in the search box.

2016-06-30.png