A farewell


Recommended Posts

The Evil Overlord

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY OUT! JERK! :p 

 

SERIOUSLY,

 

j/k

 

shame to see you go bud, the few times he have exchanged posts were good

(Y)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Skiver

Nik you were (IMO) a mod's nightmare but I'm still sad to see you go. I've always enjoyed reading your posts and getting your insight into things, I'm sure you will be missed around here.

 

Best wished for you.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
MikeChipshop

FFS Nik! You were one of the people i could count on for a decent post... * grumbles *.

 

I totally get where you're coming from though, and totally agree with you. There's a handful of users on here I actively look for posts by and not all of those are folks i agree with, but folks i know will give a good argument for their case without resorting to childish name calling and trolling.

 

I'll drop you a request on FB later (Y)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.

Other people feel the same way about the politics on Neowin, but you can filter it out on MiniSpy, I also don't get why it's even necessary to "chime in" if you truly believe the people making the posts are uninformed, let them stay uninformed in their own little world? After 16 years of running Neowin, if I tried to right every wrong  posted here I'd truly be madder than I already am :p

 

My suggestion to you Nik is to enjoy what's good about the forum (and anywhere else, doesn't Facebook also infuriate you with the dumb posts and hoaxes?) you can unfollow stupid people on Facebook, but you can also unfollow and filter out certain forums (and members!) here too.

 

Lastly, all those discussions on politics are there in one forum for a reason, to keep it out of other sections, if it starts spilling over to other areas, then that's something we have to address (I've seen it in the Random funny pic thread, but I believe that has been taken care of now).

 

Anyway, have a good one and don't let the stupid people win, or get you down :) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielx64
1 minute ago, Steven P. said:

Other people feel the same way about the politics on Neowin, but you can filter it out on MiniSpy, I also don't get why it's even necessary to "chime in" if you truly believe the people making the posts are uninformed, let them stay uninformed in their own little world? After 16 years of running Neowin, if I tried to right every wrong  posted here I'd truly be madder than I already am :p

 

My suggestion to you Nik is to enjoy what's good about the forum (and anywhere else, doesn't Facebook also infuriate you with the dumb posts and hoaxes?) you can unfollow stupid people on Facebook, but you can also unfollow and filter out certain forums (and members!) here too.

 

Lastly, all those discussions on politics are there in one forum for a reason, to keep it out of other sections, if it starts spilling over to other areas, then that's something we have to address (I've seen it in the Random funny pic thread, but I believe that has been taken care of now).

 

Anyway, have a good one and don't let the stupid people win, or get you down :) 

How do I filter out subforums on the minispy and the unread topics/post?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.
Just now, Danielx64 said:

How do I filter out subforums on the minispy and the unread topics/post?

Go into the parent forum of where the sub forum is located and click on the green eye icon, like you would do from the board index:

 

SNAG-0001.png

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielx64
2 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Go into the parent forum of where the sub forum is located and click on the green eye icon, like you would do from the board index:

 

SNAG-0001.png

 

Maybe I am blind but I can't see it and I'm on the dark theme if that matters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
dipsylalapo

Definitely be missed, but mainly because you used to agree with a lot of what I said and I think you live where I used to live in the East Midlands ;) 

 

Either way, I may drop you a Facebook request....I use it occasionally :p

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
game_over

The site as a whole seems to be dwindling... but it is not entirely Neowin's fault. I am a member of lots of communities that are heading the same way... Sites that have been around as long as Neowin lose their older members for various obvious reasons, younger breed come in with a whole different attitude towards communities as a whole.. different attitudes towards politics, etc.. and end up passing off the older members who have stuck around.

 

I've recently sold an online community as it was dying in the same way... I blame social media. 'back in the day' forums were our only real way to communicate, share interests, ideas and socialise. This is no longer the case.. with the growing popularity of Facebook Groups it's only getting worse. You can reach a much wider audience on FB and get responses to questions or whatever much quicker.... this leaves forum to become a waste ground of useless rubbish.

 

Neowin is one of the best at powering through this downturn, though. This site still has a very strong user base... I am seeing struggles in some places, some forum areas are dead, that were once thriving... some articles hardly get comments. It's dissapointing.

 

You should stick around and just cut out the rubbish you don't like, if we all walked away when we came across stuff we didn't like we'd all be sitting in a room with no windows and doors, on our own, in the dark.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+John.

Sad to see you go Sir. Been a memorable name on here ever since I joined 10 1/2 years ago. 

 

I do hope you come back though once you've cleared your head, but I respect your decision.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+Mirumir

Good luck to all of your adventures in real life! Neowin can take a bit too much of your precious time sometimes. 

 

And you'll be back! I'm speaking from my personal experience here :laugh:

 

16vbvr.jpg

 

Spoiler

The Soapbox is missing this thread already.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
restroom

So sad. Sadly, Neowin doesn't seem as popular or busy as it used to be. Plus the general discussion section used to be alive with random fun stuff to read. That was a long time ago now though (I know I have only been a member for a while, but I'm actually an old (older than Nik) timer on here who no longer has access to my old account.

 

That being said, the internet has changed well beyond what it was. Its now a political cesspit, where having any form of opinion apparently opens you up to assault from someone with a conflicting view. There is no debate, only "believe the same as me or else"!

 

I completely understand why you are leaving my old friend. The same reason I left years ago and the same reason I barely frequent Neowin today. Also the same reason I no longer have much of an online stamp.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
FloatingFatMan

Best of luck wherever you go, Nik. I hope I haven't contributed to this decision, I know I can be a pain in the butt! :p

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Mando
4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Best of luck wherever you go, Nik. I hope I haven't contributed to this decision, I know I can be a pain in the butt! :p

tbh mate the vibe ive always got from Nik posting over the years, it will have been of his own mind and nothing specific on here thats brought him to this crossroads, nothing any of us may have said or done.

 

Besides your OUR pain in the butt :p im yanking yer chain, I enjoy your posts, as no doubt Nik enjoyed the balanced debating and banter, otherwise he wouldnt have stayed this long :)

 

@restroom, know what your saying, its not just in forums im seeing change in attitudes and self conduct towards others, i see it in multiplayer gaming circles, its not the friendly jokey place it once was.

 

Do you think this is our generations chance to say, it was not like this when we first started out, back in our day? :woot: (how did i get here, mid 40s....)

 

Nik, im not a facebook member otherwise id add you buddy, genuinely sorry to see you go. 

Edited by Mando
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
Ian W

I am sorry to see you go. Perhaps you might change your mind? Departures can be temporary, of course, so if you decide to come back it would not necessarily contradict what you said before.

Either way, I wish you well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
+xrobwx71

You will be missed Nik. I have not always agreed with your stance (most I did agree with) but all were outlined intelligently and succinctly. I have always respected your mind and heart above all else regardless of belief. Cheers bro!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Andrew locked this topic
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.