Should I Move?

No worries. ;) I'm sure there's a workaround or something for this problem. You and I are running the exact same card, and someone else surely is too.

Looks like both of us need the unofficial nonfree images that contain the extra firmware and drivers. Gonna try out that one. :)

For now, I'll stick with what I have, might try installing Debian again with my spare SSD.

• Like 1

*hits head on desk* I forgot about the live version. I'll burn it to my pen drive and see wtf is up...

• Like 1

Gah, how the mighty have fallen. :no: 

Live session won't load in anything but failsafe. No problem.

Installer won't launch at all. Can't get version numbers on anything in the Terminal. And it's supposed to be Jessie 8.5, compiled in June.

Sheesh.

Grabbed the Testing version, compiled this week. Nothing loads, at all. It should at least do some text-mode spamming ... it sat there for ten minutes. No blinking cursor, no tty switching, nothing.

Wow.

Not sure who's running the ship nowadays, but the Debian Project is seriously has fallen on tumbleweeds if things are this bad.

Yeah, I just tried the Live version, same thing as you. Just, something is not right here. I though Jessie was supposed to be "better than Wheezy"...

I'm too tired now, but tomorrow, I can try it with a different gfx card, see if that helps at all.

Edit: Guess it died with Ian, eh? rofl....

7 hours ago, Shiranui said:

No Fedora love on here?

i tried that before. Not much of a fan. I'm a apt-get guy :p

5 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Fedora and I have agreed to disagree. ;) 

:laugh: You figure anything else out?

Does the Mesa open-source drivers that ships with Jessie even support the 900/Maxwell series of Nvidia cards? If not, you'll likely need the proprietary drivers or use Stretch or Sid. That's also likely why Ubuntu 16.04/Mint 18 works without issue.

Good luck finding any open-source support for the 1000 series - you'll need the proprietary drivers for sure.

I have been using Mint 18 since the day after it came out and had no issues at all

Debian is good cant go wrong with it :)

OK, Guys. I now put Mint 18 on here.  Going pretty good so far. I added in the NVIDIA drivers, but need to restart. I'll do that once I transfer some other files around. ;)

• Like 1

Can't edit post, meh...

Anyway, had a successful reset into 340 NVIDIA drivers. Got all my applications all set and sound. (Most of them I stored on my storage drive)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2016 at 5:10 AM, Shiranui said:

No Fedora love on here?

Fedora is the only distro I could get to boot on my PlayStation 4, so it gets some love from me! :)

4EkDsKi.png

Anyone have any knowledge of PCLinuxOS? I know it was mentioned in here. I see it uses apt-get/synaptic

On 7/21/2016 at 10:29 PM, Unobscured Vision said:

Gah, how the mighty have fallen. :no: 

Live session won't load in anything but failsafe. No problem.

Installer won't launch at all. Can't get version numbers on anything in the Terminal. And it's supposed to be Jessie 8.5, compiled in June.

Sheesh.

Grabbed the Testing version, compiled this week. Nothing loads, at all. It should at least do some text-mode spamming ... it sat there for ten minutes. No blinking cursor, no tty switching, nothing.

Wow.

Not sure who's running the ship nowadays, but the Debian Project is seriously has fallen on tumbleweeds if things are this bad.

Any news on Debian Jessie? I tried several different versions, and it doesn't want to work on any... Is it my GFX, or perhaps just my CPU that doesn't want to play nice here? O_o

Or maybe I should look elsewhere?

I tried Fedora in VirtualBox and rather like it. Next I have to test it on the bare computer. See if it will boot up, unlike Debian... :angry:

I mean, yeah, it's different, but unlike Debian, it has faster package upgrades.

(Think I didn't like it in the past because it used KDE/GNOME. But now that I know how to switch DE's...)

Edit: I tried a Live Edition of Fedora 23 Cinnamon on my PC. Quite nice, to say the least... Might be a nice/easy transition. As I read, it has been out for almost as long as Debian.

• Like 1