What should I do with a Mac Mini?

• 2 months later...

If it's Intel-driven, you could actually install Windows 10 on it.  (No - I'm not joking in the least.  If it is driven by a Core Duo, at the very least, you can throw an x32 copy of 10 on it; it it's a Core 2 version of a mini, then the x64 version comes into play.)

The Windows 10 range-gate goes back a lot further than the mini - I have two notebooks that are older than the mini merely in the 10 test pool.

On 8/2/2016 at 6:43 AM, illegaloperation said:

Someone is moving put out of town so he's giving me a Mac Mini.

What should I do with it?

HTPC or......if you can add a 2nd NIC (usb would do) build a home Security appliance from sophos, theyeve release a free for personal use of their XG firewall/UTM.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-xg-firewall-home-edition.aspx

1 minute ago, Mando said:

HTPC or......if you can add a 2nd NIC (usb would do) build a home Security appliance from sophos, theyeve release a free for personal use of their XG firewall/UTM.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-xg-firewall-home-edition.aspx

i take it you have not followed the OPs posts around here eh?

11 hours ago, PGHammer said:

If it's Intel-driven, you could actually install Windows 10 on it.  (No - I'm not joking in the least.  If it is driven by a Core Duo, at the very least, you can throw an x32 copy of 10 on it; it it's a Core 2 version of a mini, then the x64 version comes into play.)

The Windows 10 range-gate goes back a lot further than the mini - I have two notebooks that are older than the mini merely in the 10 test pool.

aye that would also work, i managed to upgrade my optiplex 160 pile of turdness from 7 pro x64 to Win 10 pro x64...it had 8Gb and dual core atoms....it was usable, cheap ssd would have helped, but W10 was as usable as W7 was on it.

5 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

i take it you have not followed the OPs posts around here eh?

heheh nope. I was trying to be a grown up and not say, "stick it in the trash, or office space it"....but it does have core 2 duo era hardware so still has some decent windows use :p

so this doesnt apply but is getting posted anyways. I see an R75 checkpoint firewall i wanna do this to when i finally get to retire it.

I WONT need the baseball bat for what im planning :p

• Like 1