Keeping my Xbox Gamertag alive

So I've never owned an Xbox (original, 360, or Xbox One) but I have a gamertag.

I created it back during the failed "Games for Windows Live" experiment and I did use it during that period but haven't really touched it since.

I'd like to keep it though if it's not too much trouble, especially with new "Xbox Play Anywhere" initiative (and I may actually buy Project Scorpio when it comes out as my first actual Xbox... depending on how it compares to my gaming PC at the time).

I've recently read though that MS is expiring "inactive" gamertags.  Is opening the Xbox app on Windows 10 and logging in sufficient to keep my gamertag "active"?  How about playing Minecraft for Windows 10? Do I actually have to play a real Xbox console game.

You should be fine but If you are worried there are free games that use Xbox Live on the Store. You will see small mobile games to big publisher games like Forza (beta) and Killer Instinct.

3 hours ago, Asmodai said:

So I've never owned an Xbox (original, 360, or Xbox One) but I have a gamertag.

I created it back during the failed "Games for Windows Live" experiment and I did use it during that period but haven't really touched it since.

I'd like to keep it though if it's not too much trouble, especially with new "Xbox Play Anywhere" initiative (and I may actually buy Project Scorpio when it comes out as my first actual Xbox... depending on how it compares to my gaming PC at the time).

I've recently read though that MS is expiring "inactive" gamertags.  Is opening the Xbox app on Windows 10 and logging in sufficient to keep my gamertag "active"?  How about playing Minecraft for Windows 10? Do I actually have to play a real Xbox console game.

The ToS doesn't explicity mention want counts as "active", but I would imagine signing into the W10 app or Xbox.com is sufficient enough. Plus, if you're going to buy a Play Anywhere title, that will definitely count.

Further, if you have any games which support it, GFWL servers are still online and it's possible to log in via the old client.

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

The ToS doesn't explicity mention want counts as "active",

Yeah, that's my issue.

but I would imagine signing into the W10 app or Xbox.com is sufficient enough.

I think so too (wishful thinking?) but I was hoping someone here might be in the know.

Plus, if you're going to buy a Play Anywhere title, that will definitely count.

Sure but there isn't a specific game on my radar I plan on getting.  In the past however there was ZERO chance I'd get an Xbox game but the "Play Anywhere" program means as a PC gamer I may very well actually start buying Xbox games in the future (again, nothing specific in mind currently though).

Further, if you have any games which support it, GFWL servers are still online and it's possible to log in via the old client.

I'm not sure any of them do support it anymore.  I'll go back through them but I'm pretty sure all of them updated to remove GFWL and now use Steamworks or something else instead.  Dawn of War II comes to mind as one of the GFWL games I played heavily but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use GFWL anymore.

1 minute ago, Asmodai said:

Yeah, that's my issue.

I think so too (wishful thinking?) but I was hoping someone here might be in the know.

Sure but there isn't a specific game on my radar I plan on getting.  In the past however there was ZERO chance I'd get an Xbox game but the "Play Anywhere" program means as a PC gamer I may very well actually start buying Xbox games in the future (again, nothing specific in mind currently though).

I'm not sure any of them do support it anymore.  I'll go back through them but I'm pretty sure all of them updated to remove GFWL and now use Steamworks or something else instead.  Dawn of War II comes to mind as one of the GFWL games I played heavily but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use GFWL anymore.

If you have a tablet or phone with Xbox app, it's good enough. Which you can check once a while to see news and status.  That will keep your gamertag active.

2 minutes ago, Asmodai said:

Not all games switched, but a lot of the popular ones did. Even some games which have been updated let the user decide which service to use (DiRT 3 and Toy Soldiers did IIRC).

It'll come down to which games you own, but it's a possible option for you if you don't buy any W10/X1 PA titles.