• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

950 XL Dual SIm

Sl@yer    0

Hi

I am wondering if anyone has been able to make this %$#$% phone work with Dual SIMs? I have tried all of the production builds and Insider Builds and have never been able to use the Smart Dual Sim feature, I am only able to use either SIM 1 or SIM2 but only if the other is turned off. I have tried calling MS support and the scary thing is I know more about their products than they do and its totally frustrating wasting hours on the phone with them,

If it matters  I am located in Canada using Bell Mobility for both SIMS, I have also tried mixing SIMs from Rogers and Wind Mobile with no luck.

I am currently running the latest Insider builder and could really use a helping hand if anyone can save me from this otherwise pretty good phone

linsook    149

only 1 slot can use LTE/3G at a time.  The other is relegated to 2G.

timster    1,437

when using 2 SIMS, 1 of them will be locked to 2G.

only Rogers and Fido have a GSM (2G) network in addition to 3G and LTE, they'll be shutting down GSM in 2018. Bell and Telus only have 3G and LTE networks. Wind Mobile only has a limited 3G network right now.

Sl@yer    0
Spoiler

27 minutes ago, linsook said:

only 1 slot can use LTE/3G at a time.  The other is relegated to 2G.

Understood and this works as expected, unfortunately I am not able to use the Smart Dual SIM features its set to Off and greyed out. We were lead to believe by Microsoft (we were dealing with the Canadian Head Offices) that the phone allowed us to have 2 SIMs with one forwarded to the other so that our staff wouldn't have to carry 2 phone (1 business and their personal) so far of course still having to lug around to phones.

30 minutes ago, timster said:

when using 2 SIMS, 1 of them will be locked to 2G.

only Rogers and Fido have a GSM (2G) network in addition to 3G and LTE, they'll be shutting down GSM in 2018. Bell and Telus only have 3G and LTE networks. Wind Mobile only has a limited 3G network right now.

sorry if I am asking a stupid question but are you saying that 2 Bell SIMs wouldn't work together?

linsook    149

just to clarify, with both sims in the phone you can receive a call from either or correct?  all the 'smart' feature does is forward a call to your other sim if you are on the call usng that sim.. granted your sim for that carrier supports forwarding and the line its forwarding to has call waiting.

Sl@yer    0
4 hours ago, linsook said:

just to clarify, with both sims in the phone you can receive a call from either or correct?  all the 'smart' feature does is forward a call to your other sim if you are on the call usng that sim.. granted your sim for that carrier supports forwarding and the line its forwarding to has call waiting.

No, only the active SIM receives calls the other SIM goes straight to voice mail

linsook    149

2 hours ago, Sl@yer said:

No, only the active SIM receives calls the other SIM goes straight to voice mail

ya something not right. Not sure how to help.  take screenshots of top status bar and sim settings for us.

Sl@yer    0
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 6:54 AM, linsook said:

ya something not right. Not sure how to help.  take screenshots of top status bar and sim settings for us.

wp_ss_20160805_0001.png

wp_ss_20160805_0002.png

wp_ss_20160805_0003.png

linsook    149
On 8/5/2016 at 8:06 AM, Sl@yer said:

wp_ss_20160805_0001.png

wp_ss_20160805_0002.png

wp_ss_20160805_0003.png

and if you turn sim1 off. sim2 starts working?

Sl@yer    0
5 hours ago, linsook said:

and if you turn sim1 off. sim2 starts working?

yes

linsook    149
On 8/7/2016 at 3:47 PM, Sl@yer said:

yes

for sim 2 have you tried going in to sim settings and try searching for network?? what results do you get?

Sl@yer    0
12 hours ago, linsook said:

for sim 2 have you tried going in to sim settings and try searching for network?? what results do you get?

Hi Linsock

I have tried this on 3 950XLs and 2 950 models with the same results on each

wp_ss_20160809_0001.pngwp_ss_20160809_0002.png