Raspberry Pi on steroids

There's been a lot of raspberry pi clusters, heck there's been a few research papers on them and they all state the same thing: they're slow, they're not good value for money for this application and they don't work reliably enough to even use for a cluster configuration.

You can pick up dell laptops that are a few years old with i5 or i7 CPUs in them for £100 off ebay: one of those gives you more than 10 times the performance of a single raspberry pi, not to mention it can actually run a 64 bit OS, has an ethernet adapter faster than 100mbps and doesn't have a USB controller that is cringeworthy. Oh and it actually has a display.

• Like 3

I guess if he built it for the sake of just seeing if he could - it'd be OK.

But it sounds like, from his mannerisms/speech that he thinks he really "developed" something important.

If it was some guy who posted a vid - "hey I did this over the weekend - thought it was cool - so I recorded it - now Im gonna tear it down."
I would have said, "looks nice - well done.  What are you planning to do with all the diff controllers ?"

But this guy is all "in response for my dissertation..."  He's getting a PhD on how to waste time and build something irrelevant but has flashy lights.

Meh - Im just in a crappy mood.

Hey, if you want to waste money, go ahead... It looks cool, but does it really pose a purpose.. No... Does any cheap techy thing have one?

I wonder what you can do with a cluster.

Is it a 'super computer' ?

Can you run a weather forecast, simulate a drug reaction, predict stock trades, etc. ?

Disappointing that he didn't show the cluster outputting something on a screen.