Modem Questions?

hello, i currently have RCN 50mbps and i use the Motorola SB 6121 with the Nighthawk AC1900.  i was wonder if getting a better modem like the SB 6141 or SB 6183 will give me better speeds or improve my connection.

Thanks

I'm not 100% sure, but I think all modems give you the same speed, just more customization and other options.

Your current modem should handle your RCN internet without a hitch. I do have a question, by improving your connection, what do you mean? Do you mean the wireless signal is not strong and you want to improve that?

@Mindovermaster different modems can definitely give you different speeds depending on your connection, there are different tiers of modems available.

1 hour ago, LilSnoop40 said:

... will give me better speeds or improve my connection.

Depends on your ISP -- what speeds do they promise for what you pay ?

If they supply 50 Mbs, the fastest modem in the world isn't going to give you more.

Cable modem speeds also depend on what your neighbors are using.

6 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Your current modem should handle your RCN internet without a hitch. I do have a question, by improving your connection, what do you mean? Do you mean the wireless signal is not strong and you want to improve that?

@Mindovermaster different modems can definitely give you different speeds depending on your connection, there are different tiers of modems available.

As I said, I wasn't sure...

"give me better speeds or improve my connection."

So you are not getting your 50 you pay for?? Are we talking wireless or wired to your router?  Do you think you will get 100 if you get a faster modem without paying for it?  That modem is docsis 3 which in a 8x4 configuration of channels would be capable of roughly 300mbps down and 100 up..  If I recall correctly the standard doesn't really have a max number of channels set so you could double that for sure with more channels, etc.  That model doesn't have 8 channels down only 4x4 which more than capable of your 50 your paying for.  That being said more channels even if not paying for more bandwidth can help with congestion in the area from other subscribers.  But just because your device is capable of more channels either up or down doesn't mean you will get them from your isp, etc.

While the 6121 is only 4x4 for channels the 6141 is 8x4.. How many channels are you bonding with now?  hit your modems config page should be at 192.168.100.1 and you can see under your signal page how many channels your bonded with.  I am currently only bonded with 3 down, but 4 up..    I am having no issues with my speeds which I pay for 75/10

speeds.jpg

If your having problems with your connection I would be more likely to point fingers at your router vs the modem.  If your not seeing what your paying for then try directly connecting to your modem..  Do you get the speed then you pay for?  You will have to power cycle the modem when you change from your router to your PC and then back again, etc.