750Ti Upgrade

I currently have a 750Ti. I have a 750W Thermaltake PSU, so I am safe with power.

I need to change because, Linux Debian/Ubuntu/Mint is giving me heavy issues. Ask Unobscured Vision about that...

I need an upgrade, but I am not looking for better performance. I game, rarely. I don't need something like a 1070/1080.

I have been looking around Newegg, and I found several different brands of:

1060 3GB

1060 6GB

Or should I wait for the 1050 to come out? Might be cheaper than all those 4...

My budget is around $200. Less is better, if more, give me a good reason. I won't be getting this for a few months now. Just want all the information :)

(I don't know if the 10 series has Linux drivers yet. I mean, they should, but...)

You better choose AMD if you don't game and specially for Linux Drivers, Linus torvalds has also shown his middle finger to Nvidia for its lack of Driver support for Linux, otherwise 750Ti is still a great card.

7 hours ago, Xahid said:

You better choose AMD if you don't game and specially for Linux Drivers, Linus torvalds has also shown his middle finger to Nvidia for its lack of Driver support for Linux, otherwise 750Ti is still a great card.

Everywhere I heard, NVIDIA is better for Linux. :huh:

I used my 7850 previously, and drivers weren't that great.

My issues with 750Ti, it won't boot up a Live version of Debian/Mint. The monitor just freezes. And I looked hard into this, no help.

@Unobscured Vision

You can upgrade safely all the way up to a 980ti with the same driver. Anything below that will be fine. I haven't heard when the next driver revision will be out, but I'm sure it won't be long. Month or two at the most, so go ahead and do what'cha want with a Maxwell-series card. :yes: 

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Everywhere I heard, NVIDIA is better for Linux. :huh:

I used my 7850 previously, and drivers weren't that great.

My issues with 750Ti, it won't boot up a Live version of Debian/Mint. The monitor just freezes. And I looked hard into this, no help.

@Unobscured Vision

nVidia offers the best performance on linux with the closed source proprietary drivers. AMD will work, but nVidia seems to work better when compared to the open source drivers.

• Like 2

Let's see ... budget is $200US or less (preferably less) ... hmm ...

(checking NewEgg ... )

Here ya go. Bout what we paid for the 750ti. GET THE 1-YEAR WARRANTY! :yes: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487153

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 DirectX 12 02G-P4-2968-RX 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card - Certified Refurbished, Free Shipping

Looks good to me. :yes: $159.99 is a heck of a deal.

13 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Let's see ... budget is $200US or less (preferably less) ... hmm ...

(checking NewEgg ... )

Here ya go. Bout what we paid for the 750ti. GET THE 1-YEAR WARRANTY! :yes: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487153

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 DirectX 12 02G-P4-2968-RX 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card - Certified Refurbished, Free Shipping

Looks good to me. :yes: $159.99 is a heck of a deal.

That 960 looks killer. I never had EVGA, but might be nice. I always had XFX in my ATI years. Lifetime Warranty. :)

• Like 1

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

That 960 looks killer. I never had EVGA, but might be nice. I always had XFX in my ATI years. Lifetime Warranty. :)

EVGA is top-tier. I had a pair of 9800's SLI'd of theirs and they rocked. Lasted forever too. Used them until a got a 610, sadly because money was tight. Thunderstorm took 'em out with the rest of my 2007 build in 2012.

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

eVGA is pretty darn good. Their customer service in my experience has been nothing but great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

eVGA is pretty darn good. Their customer service in my experience has been nothing but great.

Good to hear :)

4 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

EVGA is top-tier. I had a pair of 9800's SLI'd of theirs and they rocked. Lasted forever too. Used them until a got a 610, sadly because money was tight. Thunderstorm took 'em out with the rest of my 2007 build in 2012.

Thunderstorms kill us all...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Thunderstorms kill us all...

They did with that build ... 8gb of RAM, Quad-Core Phenom Black Edition CPU ... ran like a champ. CPU itself still ran afterwards ... mostly. Virtualization never worked again after that, and the CPU itself ran like a Sempron (really sluggish). How the mighty fall ...

*sigh* Damn you, Pavlov. :laugh:

OK, I now bought the EVGA card. (Yeah, a bit before midnight, but I was busy) At such a great price, why not? I just put it on my PayPal account. I have 6 months to pay that off. ;)

@Unobscured Vision, If you are wrong about this, you owe me, dude! :laugh:

But, after I get this (should be next week), I'll start up a Debian Jessie Live-CD, and see how that goes...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

OK, I now bought the EVGA card. (Yeah, a bit before midnight, but I was busy) At such a great price, why not? I just put it on my PayPal account. I have 6 months to pay that off. ;)

@Unobscured Vision, If you are wrong about this, you owe me, dude! :laugh:

But, after I get this (should be next week), I'll start up a Debian Jessie Live-CD, and see how that goes...

:laugh: Very well. You won't be disappointed.

[EDIT] I stand by what I say before, though. Try Debian if you must, but your experiences will be similar to the 750ti with the black-screening and such. The 960-FTW is a Maxwell card, like the 750ti but with (roughly) double the horsepower and SLI capability. It's a good upgrade, no doubt about it -- but ... remember that it's going to behave like a Maxwell. I'd stick to the tried-and-true 16.04.1 Ubuntu's because we know those work, and we've got the procedures figured out to make the Drivers behave across-the-board. :yes: 

Edited by Unobscured Vision

I have the 960 now. I'll install it into my system later this afternoon. :)

whZM30S.jpg

@Unobscured Vision, you have any idea when 16.10 will come out? I know, in October, but any solid date? And, will that then be better?

• Like 3

Not really. Late October-ish, sometime. I'd hate to get flamed to the four winds again, like in the Synology/Btrfs thread for guessing more specifically than that. Not that erring on the side of caution is ever a bad thing, ya know. Should be some newer drivers by then.

Nice looking card, by the way. I'll be snagging a top-tier pair of 1070's by mid-December. Holiday gift for myself and all, since I'm doing College plus a 50-hour a week job that's paying well. Then it's onto the Zen-series if there aren't any issues once they're released ... otherwise it'll be a nice Dual CPU Xeon Monster build for me to pair the 1070's to. Something to really push the limits of "horsepower". :yes:(Y) 

I heard that it will be on Oct 13th.

I'm trying Arch on VirtualBox. Somewhat weird, but I think i got the hang of it. Got it installed and all that, just trying to load up different software. :)

• Like 1

If it works for you, cool. (Y) I don't have time to fuss with Arch, tbh. I just wanna load-n-go, tweak as needed, get on with things, tweak a little more as I need to later on.

To me, Arch falls into the "Gentoo Category". Maddeningly, frustratingly, needlessly overcomplicated. Getting one's hands dirty when it really doesn't change all that much in the grand scheme of things.

My opinion only -- and yes, I'm a little bit cynical regarding Arch, seeing as how I've never once gotten it to install properly. Ever. 

12 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

If it works for you, cool. (Y) I don't have time to fuss with Arch, tbh. I just wanna load-n-go, tweak as needed, get on with things, tweak a little more as I need to later on.

To me, Arch falls into the "Gentoo Category". Maddeningly, frustratingly, needlessly overcomplicated. Getting one's hands dirty when it really doesn't change all that much in the grand scheme of things.

My opinion only -- and yes, I'm a little bit cynical regarding Arch, seeing as how I've never once gotten it to install properly. Ever. 

Where's you get that notion? Arch has not been fussy for years now, for most people that know Linux in general you can have a working DE setup in under 30 mins, maybe more if you have to deal with crap WiFi cards 

Last time I installed Arch from scratch it took maybe 30 mins, I consider myself a sl;sightly above average Linux user, no where close to a power user, but I know enough to know UBUNTU is like the Win XP of the Linux world and avoid it like the plague 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2016 at 0:34 AM, Unobscured Vision said:

Oddly enough, Gentoo is - if anything - LESS complicated than it used to be; surprisingly, my preferred Linux distribution is Gentoo-derivative Sabayon Linux.  However, I switched back to Ubuntu, due to Ubuntu being the preferred distribution for CyanogenMod ROM building.  (Derivative OmniROM prefers Arch; though - so now I have to see which way MT8127 (my tablet's CPU) is taken.)

On 9/7/2016 at 6:54 PM, Mindovermaster said:

im a big EVGA fan. superb customer support and superbly built gear.

Little late, but umm... Yeah.... I have the 960 in my machine.

I'm playing pin the tail on the donkey with several different distros im trying out...