A reminder of bad decisions

This screenshot basically shows why using the blue 'e' & calling their new browser "Edge" was a mistake:

YTQkybH.png

I think they should have gone with the approach of completely removing ties with IE, as now people believe that Edge is basically Internet Explorer 12. Which is not good since IE doesn't exactly have a good reputation.

Edited by LimeMaster

I remember the reasoning behind using Edge and the blue 'e' logo is that a lot of people associate the blue e with the Internet. That blue 'e' means Internet. If they changed the icon to something different, people might not know how to get on the Internet. And I can see their point. One time I pulled a prank on someone by changing the icon of a game they were playing and then they had no idea where the game was; they thought it had been deleted even though the icon was in the exact same location.

The fact that they used a similar logo to IE's isn't the beginning of it. The biggest mistake was releasing an  unfinished, horrible-looking browser  that's still not up to par with IE11.  If the browser was better they could have used a swastika for all people cared (figuratively speaking).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The_D0lph1n said:

I remember the reasoning behind using Edge and the blue 'e' logo is that a lot of people associate the blue e with the Internet. That blue 'e' means Internet. If they changed the icon to something different, people might not know how to get on the Internet. And I can see their point. One time I pulled a prank on someone by changing the icon of a game they were playing and then they had no idea where the game was; they thought it had been deleted even though the icon was in the exact same location.

Good point. I feel they could have found a way to make it so people still knew it was the internet without the use of the 'e' logo.

16 minutes ago, onewarmslime said:

The fact that they used a similar logo to IE's isn't the beginning of it. The biggest mistake was releasing an  unfinished, horrible-looking browser  that's still not up to par with IE11.  If the browser was better they could have used a swastika for all people cared (figuratively speaking).

That's true. I didn't say that the branding was the only thing hindering its success.

17 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well 1: Explorer is a file management utility

2: He's running Windows 10 on a 6 year old laptop, probably a horrible experience even with Chrome or Firefox.

It's also this guy's shorter way of saying Internet Explorer. 

As for the experience thing, probably. The guy does seem happy with Edge though.

51 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

This screenshot basically shows why using the blue 'e' & calling their new browser "Edge" was a mistake:

YTQkybH.png

I think they should have gone with the approach of completely removing ties with IE, as now people believe that Edge is basically Internet Explorer 12. Which is not good since IE doesn't exactly have a good reputation.

But it doesn't cut ties with I.E. even at an application level.  Edge shares parts of I.E. still. 

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

But it doesn't cut ties with I.E. even at an application level.  Edge shares parts of I.E. still. 

And I believe it shouldn't share anything with IE. They should both be separate things.  After all, IE being included in Windows 10 was only meant for backwards compatibility purposes. So them sharing things means it will be harder to let go of IE. 

Just now, LimeMaster said:

And I believe it shouldn't share anything with IE. They should both be separate things.  After all, IE being included in Windows 10 was only meant for backwards compatibility purposes. So them sharing things means it will be harder to let go of IE. 

As do I. Edge was poorly implemented and still is today. 

Just now, Order_66 said:

They should have kept the Spartan name and used a completely different logo.

That would have been a great idea. Neighbor -I live about 60 miles from you.:D

Edge can't cut ties with IE, no matter what MS says, all Edge is is a public Alpha of the next version of IE, nothing anyone has shown me points to edge NOT being just a renamed IE with a half assed shin