Apple to remove the Headphone Jack in MacBook Pros too?

1 minute ago, Nik Louch said:

Each new port/protocol spec seems to unify a few previous ones.  What USB-C can do is astounding (IMHO) and unifies (or replaces) a lot of existing used ports in various use cases.  But I'm certain something will come next :)

What surprises me is that there are still PCI slots on skylake based motherboards......

Just now, Nik Louch said:

Each new port/protocol spec seems to unify a few previous ones.  What USB-C can do is astounding (IMHO) and unifies (or replaces) a lot of existing used ports in various use cases.  But I'm certain something will come next :)

Absolutely, I don't usually pay attention too much to this sort of thing but I've even seen talk of USB-C replacing HDMI.

What I'd love to see (but never expect) is to see Apple come on board with agreeing on a universal standard regardless of device. So whether it's a PC, Macbook, iPhone or android etc. If that meant that we see Androids with Lightning port so be it,  just whatever is the best fit for everything. There's no need for competition with this type of technology.

6 minutes ago, Nik Louch said:

I'm reminded of the XKCD comic:

standards.png

I don't think we'll see them adding a lightning port to their Macbook range. One reason they removed it from the iPhone was to reclaim space. Swapping 3.5mm for lightning isn't saving space.

It would be more likely they'd switch to USB-C on the computers or include a USB adapter in the box.

3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Absolutely, I don't usually pay attention too much to this sort of thing but I've even seen talk of USB-C replacing HDMI.

What I'd love to see (but never expect) is to see Apple come on board with agreeing on a universal standard regardless of device. So whether it's a PC, Macbook, iPhone or android etc. If that meant that we see Androids with Lightning port so be it,  just whatever is the best fit for everything. There's no need for competition with this type of technology.

Yes, HDMI over USB-C is now possible.  Amazing isn't it!

And well, look.  Go back to when Apple first put a proprietary port onto an iDevice - the iPod.  Why?  It got the industry on-board as there were no "standard communications port" into the device, the ability to rip music off unauthorized became significantly less easy to access.  And it sparked a business model ;)

On 15/9/2016 at 4:23 AM, Andrew said:

I don't think we'll see them adding a lightning port to their Macbook range. One reason they removed it from the iPhone was to reclaim space. Swapping 3.5mm for lightning isn't saving space.

It would be more likely they'd switch to USB-C on the computers or include a USB adapter in the box.

sure, it's 3grams worth of weight that could go towards a bigger battery /s

• Like 1