Laptop plus 3 monitors? Is it possible?

Here at work we are going through some "shuffling" and some nicer monitors have turned up (just 19in instead of 17in).  Everyone currently runs dual montiors.  Recently with the upgrading of laptops to ThinkPad /t440s the idea of 3 monitors has popped up.  I am currently running 2 19in monitors (using the vga and dvi ports in the docking station).  The laptop screen works as an extension but its terribly too small for office use.  I have a Video port adapter for DVI but as soon as I plugged it in, my first DVI monitor turned off.  So I am not sure if its just a hardware limitation that the laptop/docking station cant run 3 external monitors but I am curious if it is in fact possible.  Thank you!

A t440s should be able to support multiple external monitors. It has a displayport, that can support 3x 1080p monitors via daisy-chain or MST hub. Use digital connections for all three monitors and turn off the internal display since the Intel GPU can only support 3 monitors total. You might need to connect 1 or 2 externals, then disable the internal display, and then connect the third external. 

1 minute ago, mrp04 said:

A t440s should be able to support multiple external monitors. It has a displayport, that can support 3x 1080p monitors via daisy-chain or MST hub. 

Is it the docking station thats giving me a hard time then?  The dock as vga, dvi and a display port.  As soon as I plugged in the display port, the DVI monitor turned off and was no longer detected.

Hello,

I have used a ThinkPad T440p with 3 1600×1200 monitors.  Two are connected via the dock, and one via the laptop's mDP connector.  The internal LCD on the laptop was disabled.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

We use HPs at work, currently running 23" 1080 screens and the laptop screen using the dock and display port, I do have a spare VGA port, but have not tried popping another screen on, yet, have access to a spare widescreen to play with monday, should work, if you can wait till monday I'll let you know 

Ours do require that we install an extrra HP USB driver for it to work, even if not using the usb adapters, otherwise we can only use 2 not 3 if you count the laptop screen 

For setups that don't have 2 DP ports or DP and DVI we use HP USB adapters, they work OK for office work 

On 9/19/2016 at 0:43 PM, xendrome said:

https://amzn.com/B00H91BQ7Y

https://amzn.com/B01C6HBJOA

Don't expect any good 3d performance.

You should see ours, it's a mess with older setups, USB to DVI with a DVI to VGA adapter thrown in 

Good thing our newer hardware has 2 DP and 1 VGA less crap to be added in