Being attacked externally with Fiddler open.

Question

Where I work I need to test payment processes (Elavon, SagePay etc)

I need to open a port on my router and forward it to my machine so that the redirect URL for the payment will work correctly.

The port on the router is only open and forwarding when I need to test payment stuff.

When I have the port open and am using Fiddler to test I notice that I get inbound requests showing from google.pl and a few others which seem to use my computer to perform searches etc.

How can I get Fiddler to stop allowing these requests? As I'm currently having to constantly open and close Fiddler so that only running when absolutely needed.

5 answers to this question

I'm running the code locally.

It's not web crawlers, they are using my computer to perform web searches.

They are automated scripts or web crawlers - most of it benign or looking for weaknesses so always make sure you are up to date with patching and secure your server. I'd NEVER let my development laptop anywhere near the internet except behind a firewall so I'd suggest maybe port forwarding to your server but using port mapping i.e. 80 -> 8080 on the server.

If you think the code is running locally then time to scan for malware and viruses.

On our router port 80 is being forwarded to my computer's IP address.

I have Fiddler set up to allow remote computers to connect on port 8888.

With this setup if I leave Fiddler running after a few minutes I see entries showing up in Fiddler which then start performing web searches.

How would I go about configuring whatever I need to configure to prevent this?

Could you please post what your seeing in fiddler.. And could you also do an actual wireshark sniff as well at the same time.