Cumulative Update (KB3194496) - Error 0x8e5e0408

It's that same update everyone's been having problems with. But my problem seems to be different.

I've tried the registry method posted on neowin

Tried Windows Update Troubleshooter which found some problems and fixed them but did not fix this update

I've tried the script posted by Microsoft to fix this update, but that did not work either

This update has been failing repeatedly with the same error since 9/30/2016

I tried manually downloading the CAB file and install using:   dism /online /add-package /packagepath:path

This failed with the same error code that windows update was showing.

I have attached the DISM log file, which also shows the same error: 0x8e5e0408

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5DRCJBBeobGZE5lMGdvcnQ5RlE

I tried repairing windows image using this command:    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:Full Path to install.wim file:1 /limitaccess

Completed successfully but did not fix this problem

I really need help

1 hour ago, Hum said:

I would just Uninstall the problem update until MS gets it fixed.

uhhh the update is not getting installed... how do i uninstall it :| 

2 hours ago, Hum said:

Forget the update.

Not worth worrying over.

Wait a couple weeks till MS fixes it.

The update isn't broken. There are conflicting apps causing the issue. MS has already released a cleanup script. They won't be releasing anything else. 

Not at all helpful. 

Edited by adrynalyne

7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Ignore him. You can't uninstall it if it was never installed. 

Try this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

i've tried resetting Windows Update too but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. I think because the issue is not exactly with windows update, i tried downloading the .cab file manually and installing using DISM but that gave the exact same error.

5 hours ago, punkidow said:

i've tried resetting Windows Update too but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. I think because the issue is not exactly with windows update, i tried downloading the .cab file manually and installing using DISM but that gave the exact same error.

I don't think the issue is with the update. This error is ancient and has happened across many  OS versions. You might be downloading the cab but you are still using the WU system to install it. So you went through and nuked softwaredistribution abd deleted all of the qmgr files?

4 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

I don't think the issue is with the update. This error is ancient and has happened across many  OS versions. You might be downloading the cab but you are still using the WU system to install it. So you went through and nuked softwaredistribution abd deleted all of the qmgr files?

heyy so i just followed that  windows update reset guide, did the whole thing and then tried installing the CAB file that i had downloaded, it worked! and now everything is working.

VMware 12.5 would not install previously, that got fixed too!

All is well now, thanks a lot!

11 minutes ago, punkidow said:

heyy so i just followed that  windows update reset guide, did the whole thing and then tried installing the CAB file that i had downloaded, it worked! and now everything is working.

VMware 12.5 would not install previously, that got fixed too!

All is well now, thanks a lot!

Good to hear :)

1 minute ago, John.D said:

Install KB3197356. See if that fixes it. You'll have to use IE and get it from the windows catalog site

He already fixed it per two posts above yours.