Homemade Lye Soap

Gerowen

One thing I do partly as a hobby and partly for practical reasons is I've started making my own soap.  I'm self taught because my parents never made it so I spent some time at Google University to learn how to do it.  Here's a video showing my process, :-)

• Like 1
+Dick Montage
12 minutes ago, Buttus said:

Did you start a fight club?

Now come on, he's not allowed to talk about it.

• Like 2
+Gary7

My mother used to make this soap all of the time about 63 years ago.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hum
      Police are investigating a strange case in a California community, where porcelain dolls are being left on the doorsteps of girls they hold an eerie resemblance to.

At least eight families have received the dolls in the Talega community of San Clemente, with all of the girls targeted around 10 years old.

Families began filing police reports about the dolls as early as June 16, but the mystery of their origin continues.

?It caught me by surprise,? Lt. Jeff Hallock from the Orange County Sheriff?s Department told ABC News. ?It spun of control.?

?We?re trying to connect the families and the girls,? he added. ?We?re trying to figure out if there is a correlation.?

Though some of the girls do attend the same school, some families don?t know each other, making it difficult for investigators to uncover who is leaving the dolls.

?The dolls were being left at these homes, but everybody thought they were the only one,? said Hallock. ?When the families started communicating and put it together, they became concerned.?

Police are trying to figure out if the dolls were homemade or bought at a local retailer.

Though the situation may seem eerie, the police see no foul play.

?At this point we don?t have a specific crime,? Hallock said. ?It?s very suspicious activity and we?re following up on it. We?re trying to find answers as we speak.

source & pics
    • By Gerowen
      So a couple months ago I started making lye soap at home.  I just produced my 3rd batch of soap and I've pretty well got the process down.  I'm working on making myself a mold so I can make perfect, uniformly sized bars, but for the time being I'm just selling the bars that weigh between 2.3 and 3 ounces, and using the smaller bars to chop into flakes for use in laundry detergent, floor cleaning, dishes, etc.

After my 2nd batch did alright I decided to open up an Etsy shop so people could order my products if they wanted, so I thought I would share with you guys.

You can check out my shop at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/EastKYCrafts

Lye soap can be used to wash your hands with, and in stronger concentrations is also suitable for cleaning floors if you mix it with a little borax.  It has historically been used to help cure bug bites, poison ivy, etc.  It can irritate your skin if you have extremely sensitive skin.  None of the soaps I have in my etsy shop have any scents added to them, they're just lye, animal fat and water.

I'm a computer nerd, but I also love the outdoors and doing things with my hands.  I love hunting, fishing, hiking, working on cars, and making things with my hands.  Lye soap was just something I thought of that not a lot of people make any more, but a lot of people around here love it if they can find it, especially the older folks, so I decided to try my hand at making it.

If anybody is curious I'd be more than happy to give you the recipe I use for making it.  I order my lye off the internet.  I know how to make it, but it's easier to calculate an exact strength of soap if you have lye crystals as opposed to filtering water through hardwood ashes for a couple days.  The only problem with using crystal form lye is that nobody really sells it in stores any more, at least around here.  I went to two stores and called 4 others and they all stopped selling Red Devil lye because apparently people use it to make meth.

Does anybody else on here make any hand-made crafts or have a shop on etsy?

• By Crisp
      Source and more

Today.com article and video.
    • By sathenzar
      So basically, I want to be able to accept paypal payments for my web site, I used to use PayPal IPN with PHP. Well that was a few years ago and it seems things have changed. Does the IPN system not exist anymore? Do I really have to buy an SSL and use the new SOAP api? I basically just want people to be able to sign up for a recurring service and have paypal send the information about the transaction id like they used to.
    • By sathenzar
      So I thought hey, I program C# and WCF all of the time. Lets try to have some fun with calling a WCF method with a PHP client. What a freaking nightmare this has been 2 hours later of searching google to find out WHY is it so hard to return a simple string (it wants to stick it in a stdClass object). I can get it to return the method call with the right data (just a get date/time function), however I can not for the life of me directly access the date time string returned. Here's my php code:

<?php $client = new SoapClient("http://localhost:8731/TestService?wsdl"); $params = array('param1'=>'test user'); // these parameters don't mean anything php just forces you to give it parameters for some awful reason. $retval = $client->__soapCall("GetDateTime", $params); var_dump($retval); echo $retval->GetDateTimeResult->string; for($i=0;$i<count($retval->string);$i++) { echo $retval->string[$i]->GetDateTimeResult->string; } ?>
      I've tried so many different variations. But this is always the result:
      object(stdClass)#2 (1) { ["GetDateTimeResult"]=> string(32) "Date Time: 10/14/2012 5:10:13 PM" } // <--------- obviously the call is working b/c here is the right info.
      Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in C:\xampp\htdocs\domains\testapp\test.php on line 7
      Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$string in C:\xampp\htdocs\domains\testapp\test.php on line 8
      I just want to access the simple string. What do I have to do to do that?