Need some suggestions on which SQL engine to use for a Python Web Application

Question

I've been using, and fighting with, MongoDB for a long while now and have decided the process of normalising my schema is becoming too cumbersome in this denormalised world. Using references in a document store is just not conducive of a good time (or effective NoSQL usage) and not using them is giving me grey hair. My Schema will simply require normalisation.

It's time to make the switch back to an SQL engine. So I'd really appreciate suggestions on which engine you feel is a pleasant experience on Python, with minimal boilerplate code, and fast queries.

Some background on the App in case it changes which engine you'd potentially suggest:

• It's Python 3
  • It's using the CherryPy web framework
  • It's using Jinja2 templating engine

It may be asked so I'll preemptively state that I will not be willing to change to Python 2.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

2 answers to this question

On 12/10/2016 at 4:11 AM, astropheed said:

I've been using, and fighting with, MongoDB for a long while now and have decided the process of normalising my schema is becoming too cumbersome in this denormalised world. Using references in a document store is just not conducive of a good time (or effective NoSQL usage) and not using them is giving me grey hair. My Schema will simply require normalisation.

It's time to make the switch back to an SQL engine. So I'd really appreciate suggestions on which engine you feel is a pleasant experience on Python, with minimal boilerplate code, and fast queries.

Some background on the App in case it changes which engine you'd potentially suggest:

• It's Python 3
  • It's using the CherryPy web framework
  • It's using Jinja2 templating engine

It may be asked so I'll preemptively state that I will not be willing to change to Python 2.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Document databases just do not suit referential data. A graph databases would make more sense giving schema flexibility but still allowing you to relate entities. Have you given something like Neo4j a go?