Skyrim Special Edition goes GOLD with Live Action Trailer

Bethesda.net announces that the Skyrim Special Edition is gold, and offers system requirements for the upcoming remake of this Elder Scrolls RPG. They also offer the following system specifications to run the game's now-improved graphics:

Minimum
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-750/AMD Phenom II X4-945.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space
NVIDIA GTX 470 1GB /AMD HD 7870 2GB

Recommended
Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320.
8GB of ram.
12 GB free HDD space

As cool as that trailer is, it isn't new. And I have to wonder what its creators thought when the saw the Malukah version. Like, all that work on sound effects, complete with the Jurassic Park roar at the end... wasted. Because this is just so much better. And this is from about five years ago, so the original (posted in the OP) is even older than that. What they really need to do is, remake the full trailer using footage from the Special Edition. That would be so great.

are they counting the many 10 of thousands of PC users on Steam that will be getting free copies in the sale that turned it gold?

I'm very excited about this. I've been going back and forth about whether or not I should re-buy this for my Xbox and I'm really tempted. Even moreso because of the mod support.

Just a few notes I found online today. Storage space required for installation onto HDD for the consoles

PS4

• 20 GB (North America)
  • 33 GB (Europe)

Xbox One

• 17 GB (North America)
  • 25 GB (Europe)

Source

The limit for mods on the PS4 is 1GB and 5GB for Xbox One. This is because of the restrictions mentioned here, regarding the PS4 mods being limited to internal assets for mods. This means that currently there are 15 mods for the PS4 and 75 for the Xbox One, but remember it's about quality and not quantity ;)

Edited by dipsylalapo

1GB mod limit for PS4 and 5GB for Xbox one, that must be joke or just rumor? 

I have 30GB's of Mods for my PC version.

On 10/26/2016 at 8:56 AM, Xahid said:

It's true but I think you misunderstand, the size limit is per mod and not the totality. 

On 10/26/2016 at 3:56 AM, Xahid said:

Also, I think the consoles are limited to not being able to add any new textures or assets.

So, Skyrim SE unlocked 3 and a half hours early. I got a notification at 8:15PM saying it would unlock in 15 minutes. And it had a countdown. Jumped into the game, it set the settings to High and I didn't mess with it.

I got knocked down by Alduin twice. Has he always had that shout? He's never done that to me in regular Skyrim.

The game appears to have no achievements, but it does have them. If you're not seeing them on the Steam page, you won't be able to unlock them. Restart Steam to get them to show up. I missed Unbound (escape Helgen Keep) this way.

The game is a bit buggy... Hadvar (the Imperial guy you can, and should follow into Helgen Keep, to gain a blacksmith friend early on) got held up in the room with the bridge and the two enemy archers. He wouldn't cross the bridge, so I went on without him. He didn't complain about the spiders or offer the stealth tutorial with the bear. (Honestly I didn't sit around waiting for him.) Got out, and Alduin didn't do his fly-by. Hadvar never showed, so I just continued onto Riverwood. At some point after the Standing Stones, it directed me to Alvor, his uncle. And then Hadvar showed up.

Honestly I can't tell a difference, and while I ran some lighting and texture mods, I didn't run an ENB in the 2011 version. It looks like a little polish, but it's not the night and day Bethesda advertised at E3. The biggest difference is the water, that I've seen. I only played for about 20 minutes though, so I didn't get far.

On the PC, I'm glad it's free. I would have regretted paying for this. I have played (and 100%'d) Skyrim on the 360 and I have it for the PS3. It is a step up from those, but PC always has been. I have Fallout 4 on my wife's Xbox One, and it looks just the same as on the PC, but without mods. So now Xbox One and PS4 users can see what base Skyrim looked like on PC five years ago. That's not a diss. I'm happy for them. Skyrim wasn't previously available on this generation, and I'm happy they're getting it. Though if they are being sold for $60, that may be a bit high. I would wait for a sale.

I just got done installing some of the essential mods. I'm at the character creator part so I'll jump into it tomorrow. I'm already at 1600 hours of play time, what is another 100 or so :laugh:

15 hours ago, Bryan R. said:

Also, I think the consoles are limited to not being able to add any new textures or assets.

That's true of the PS4 but not the Xbox, but both are still limited in comparison to the PC. Had my dispatch notification from Amazon, going to try and sink some hours tonight but then I'm away at the weekend. Damn real life :p

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2016 at 6:33 AM, Andrew said:

From the perspective of someone who played a heavily modded PC version years ago, this video is very underwhelming. The ambient music and rippling water that started it off had me thinking "I could play Skyrim again..." and by 2 minutes into it I was making awkward faces at the ugly character models and animations and thinking "wow, this looks like crap."