Brother HL-3170CDW laser printer - Text in images will be printed grainy with rough edges

While doing my tests with that new printer I've noticed (well, actually my wife did, she's the designer) a problem.

If an image that contains text will be printed, the text will come out grainy regardless of the file resolution. 

(A Thank You card for example, the mixes graphics and text)

For example: 

http://i.imgur.com/43ViXVN.jpg

Do you see the rough edges? Like there's a lack of anti aliasing 

This is the original file  which is  6300x8910 

If I'll take the exact text with the same font and print it from word it will be printed fine.

Is there a known issue I'm missing here?

- Tried increasing DPI for the print to 1200 * 1200?

- Tried updating and using latest drivers?

- Tried any other paper (80 g or 100 g)?

- Tried updating to printer's latest firmware?

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hl3170cdw_all&os=10013&dlid=dlf002976_000&flang=8&type3=375

Tried a few types of paper, firmware is updated to the latest including drivers (were installed yesterday)

The DPI is also very high. Also tried DPI 300 and 297x210 mm which is the preferred size for A4 prints. Still got the same result.

it may not be print DPI causing this, it can be the type of font and how its sent to the printer. 

you may be trying to resize a TT font to a size it doesn't actually list.

Have you tried a different TT font? If the scalable font isnt available in the chosen size, it tries to resize it and usually ends up looking quite aliased and pixelated.

"If an image that contains text will be printed"

Example image please..  So its a image of text, not actual text??

So I can print and compare..

9 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Is this just nature of the beast ?  Something that happens when one gets an el cheapo printer ?

Is $250 for a home printer considered cheap? I guess that for the laser printer category it is pretty cheap, though.

10 minutes ago, Shasoosh said:

Is $250 for a home printer considered cheap? I guess that for the laser printer category it is pretty cheap, though.

For black and white consumer laser? No, that is not cheap.

Its not a black and white printer.  Is a color laser and its a low end business class.. its max duty cycle is 30k pages a month..  Which seem's pretty freaking high if its meant as a cheap home printer ;)  Recommend print volume is up to 1500 pages a month..  That would be a ###### load of home printing ;)

I am not home currently to print that and see how it looks.  But when get home sure I can print out that image of text and post a picture of how it looks.  Did you post a picture of how your print of the brown fox image looks.  I don't recall seeing it.

9 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Its not a black and white printer.  Is a color laser and its a low end business class.. its max duty cycle is 30k pages a month..  Which seem's pretty freaking high if its meant as a cheap home printer ;)  Recommend print volume is up to 1500 pages a month..  That would be a ###### load of home printing ;)

I am not home currently to print that and see how it looks.  But when get home sure I can print out that image of text and post a picture of how it looks.  Did you post a picture of how your print of the brown fox image looks.  I don't recall seeing it.

Ah I must have mixed it up with another thread. My bad. 

57 minutes ago, BudMan said:

This is the image printed as image in the printer perferences: http://i.imgur.com/fIncEMB.jpg

This is the image printed as document in the printer perferences. (looks worse with more rough edges but I thought I'd give it a shot): http://i.imgur.com/43ViXVN.jpg