HDR Gaming

30 minutes ago, LostCat said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/10/14/ps4-and-xbox-one-s-hdr-gaming-review-worth-buying-a-new-tv-for/

(they currently have an annoying audio ad, oh well)

I can't say I'm looking forward to the extra cost but the tech sounds wonderful...I don't plan to worry about it until win10 supports it though.

Supposed to be late this year for Insiders and 2017 for general public.  I can't say that it will be that big of a deal until I actually see it.  I'm not a big fan of HDR in general, but some things do look good.  Most stuff I have seen looks overexposed.

2 hours ago, farmeunit said:

Supposed to be late this year for Insiders and 2017 for general public.  I can't say that it will be that big of a deal until I actually see it.  I'm not a big fan of HDR in general, but some things do look good.  Most stuff I have seen looks overexposed.

What do you mean? The One S already has HDR enabled. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, farmeunit said:

You seen the new tech or screenshots or what?  I mean, showing HDR properly on an SDR monitor is basically impossible so taking pictures of it for the web is kinda pointless.

3 hours ago, farmeunit said:

This is not the HDR of the mid 00s, this is proper HDR supported by 10/12 bit per channel monitors, instead of HDR output being downsampled for 8 bit monitors with tonemapping and eye adaption algorithms. Also you mean oversaturated, not overexposed.

Just now, LostCat said:

You seen the new tech or screenshots or what?  I mean, showing HDR properly on an SDR monitor is basically impossible so taking pictures of it for the web is kinda pointless.

That's not strictly true, you can still see the advantages of higher dynamic range photographically - in which SDR screens look "washed out".

4 minutes ago, Athernar said:

That's not strictly true, you can still see the advantages of higher dynamic range photographically - in which SDR screens look "washed out".

I guess I wouldn't know, but the examples I saw on that review look pretty awful.

26 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I tried to get to that site but since I us Adblock it will not let me. I do not disable it for any site.

The site is safe. It's forbes.com where they do greet new visitors with a full screen ad :) 

I am sure HDR is truly wonderful for those who have a HDR compatible HD/UHDTV (with compatible console + game). However, for me personally the cost is prohibitive. I'd have to buy a new TV (and in the case of my X1, a new console too..my PS4 Phat is allegedly getting a HDR patch) plus it only works on 2 of my games. So I am perfectly happy to stick with my "washed out" SDR HDTV, while it may not be anywhere near as good as what HDR can do it is enough for me for now :happy:

4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

The site is safe. It's forbes.com where they do greet new visitors with a full screen ad :) 

Oh I know t is safe, I just do not like sites that try to make me disable stuff. Forbes is a magazine that is trying to survive but will eventually fail as will all of the printed forms of newspaper. Nothing there I had to see. I do all of my gaming on my PC.

12 minutes ago, LostCat said:

I guess I wouldn't know, but the examples I saw on that review look pretty awful.

Most comparisons seem to miss the point and focus exclusively on the basic gamut benefits of 10-bit vs 8-bit colour, which while is certainly also significant - the biggest benefit is the ability to represent extremes of dark and light (Hence high dynamic range) in a single scene without having to "wash out" the blacks or have dim/discoloured whites.

6 hours ago, LostCat said:

you need a 10-bit screen to view HDR images. viewing examples on your 8-bit panel wont work.

3 hours ago, Jason S. said:

you need a 10-bit screen to view HDR images. viewing examples on your 8-bit panel wont work.

I don't believe those are actual HDR images though.

(Also my panel is 6 bit IPS, embarrassingly enough.  It'll be quite the jump to go to HDR.)

18 hours ago, Xerxes said:

I am sure HDR is truly wonderful for those who have a HDR compatible HD/UHDTV (with compatible console + game). However, for me personally the cost is prohibitive. I'd have to buy a new TV (and in the case of my X1, a new console too..my PS4 Phat is allegedly getting a HDR patch) plus it only works on 2 of my games. So I am perfectly happy to stick with my "washed out" SDR HDTV, while it may not be anywhere near as good as what HDR can do it is enough for me for now :happy:

The PS4 patch already came out, it was FW 4.0 which came out about a month ago.

Having seen the advantages of Forza Horizon 3 running on an HDR TV, this is something I'm actually excited to buy in too, eventually.

I'm the sort of guy than largely doesn't care for the 30 vs 60fps argument, and I'm not that turned on by 4k over 1080, but god damn if HDR doesn't look awesome. Colours are amazing, gradient banding is gone, contrast is bang on, in FH3 particularly, the skies and cars look stunning.

I wont be buying in to this for a while due to running my own business, having a family to support etc etc, but hopefully it will start to drop in price, and when it does i'm going to be all over it.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:26 AM, Gary7 said:

I tried to get to that site but since I us Adblock it will not let me. I do not disable it for any site.

Try using uBlock  Origin with two Anti-Ad block filters turned on. I was able to read the article just fine.

51 minutes ago, LostCat said:

Another one just for the hell of it.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-hdr-gaming

Considering how much stuff I'd have to replace to dig into it I'm trying to not get too excited.

Yeah, it's not just the amount of stuff, but also the cost of the stuff too. When you'd have to consider ~$1000+ at least on a HDR TV to support it. Standard monitor sized screens don't really appear to exist at the moment.