Exchange 2016 AutoDiscover issue

I have a server with newly installed Exchange 2016. I have everything working except AutoDiscover. I attached a screen shot of Outlook 2013's diagnostic. What happens exactly is that is prompts for a password with the user filled in as user@domain.com. If I enter the password it doesn't work. I keep getting 401 error. As soon as I changed the username in the prompt to simply "username" and not the email address, it works right away.

So I guess it's some kind of authentication issue somewhere. Hopefully there are some Exchange experts that can help.

autodiscovertest.jpg

The only thing that I can think of is that the user id is not the "correct user logon name@correct internal domain.com"  If it were the correct internal userid@correct internal domain name.com/local/lan/whatever it should auth correctly.  it is probably getting the userid@domain.com from the email address. 

You could specify the actual email domain as an authentication domain so that this passes and that you can tell users to user their email address to login with.

You can accomplish this by going to active directory domain s and trusts

Right click on Active directory domains and trusts

Click on properties

Add an alternate upn suffix to be the actual registered mail domain name externaldomain.com