Any Neowinians in Oregon State?

Howdy Folks,

I was offered a job in Oregon at a DataCenter. I declined the job, but informed the recruiter I would be able to move or work starting in January. I signed a 6 month Contract with VMWare, I can't quit unless I'm seriously injured or dying. 

I'm looking at the Northern Part of Oregon, Hermiston, Umatilla, or Boardman.

Things I'm wanting to know is;

Power (Relative Cost?)

Internet (Found a company, Eastern Oregon Telecom, thoughts on them?)

Anything else, what I need to figure out is, if Oregon recognizes WA State Concealed Carry Permit.

43 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Howdy Folks,

I was offered a job in Oregon at a DataCenter. I declined the job, but informed the recruiter I would be able to move or work starting in January. I signed a 6 month Contract with VMWare, I can't quit unless I'm seriously injured or dying. 

I'm looking at the Northern Part of Oregon, Hermiston, Umatilla, or Boardman.

Things I'm wanting to know is;

Power (Relative Cost?)

Internet (Found a company, Eastern Oregon Telecom, thoughts on them?)

Anything else, what I need to figure out is, if Oregon recognizes WA State Concealed Carry Permit.

I no longer live in Oregon, but I grew up outside of Portland lived there for 20+ years. My wife grew up in Boardman and currently lives in Hermiston. I can tell you in Hermiston Charter provides Cable TV/Internet ($39.99/mo). It also depends on where in the city you live, but in the city proper your power is provided by Hermiston Electric Service and my wife (living in a studio apartment) pays ~$30 during the summer and ~$80-$100 in the winter.

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

They do not recognize WA concealed carry

As long as I can get one, I'm fine with it. However, I don't particularly want to give up my Washington State one. Not with our laws currently changing, and up for voting. Look at the list of stuff they want to change, it's bull poop.

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I no longer live in Oregon, but I grew up outside of Portland lived there for 20+ years. My wife grew up in Boardman and currently lives in Hermiston. I can tell you in Hermiston Charter provides Cable TV/Internet ($39.99/mo). It also depends on where in the city you live, but in the city proper your power is provided by Hermiston Electric Service and my wife (living in a studio apartment) pays ~$30 during the summer and ~$80-$100 in the winter.

Well, I plan on running a 45u Server rack, 4x 36 bay supermicros (Over time), and the rest compute/network. I won't get Cable, they can go to hell with their speeds. I want 1GbE.

49 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

As long as I can get one, I'm fine with it. However, I don't particularly want to give up my Washington State one. Not with our laws currently changing, and up for voting. Look at the list of stuff they want to change, it's bull poop.

Well, I plan on running a 45u Server rack, 4x 36 bay supermicros (Over time), and the rest compute/network. I won't get Cable, they can go to hell with their speeds. I want 1GbE.

I will be really surprised if you can even come close to that type of speed in that area, it is mostly farm country!

Where exactly are you going to be working (city) because this is how they are setup via I-84, Boardman (very small city, basically survives on truck drivers, and the potato processing plants)--- >20 Miles---- Hermiston (bigger then Boardman, still semi- rural in parts but more 'city' again lots of farms), ------ > 31 Miles Pendleton (County seat for Hermiston, rural in parts, famous for the Pendleton round-up) Honestly your best bet would be to live in Hermiston, you are only ~45 mins away from the Tri-Cities in Washington  (Richland, Kenewick, and Pasco) which is where your big shopping stores are, Hermiston has Wal_mart and grocery stores, and most of Eastern Oregon is full of migrant farm workers who only speak Spanish, so their culture has rubbed of in the cities (Cinco Del Mayo!) lots of taco trucks and Mexican food in the area. 

Here is some info on the weapons permit: http://www.usacarry.com/oregon_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

On 10/21/2016 at 5:54 PM, jnelsoninjax said:

I will be really surprised if you can even come close to that type of speed in that area, it is mostly farm country!

Where exactly are you going to be working (city) because this is how they are setup via I-84, Boardman (very small city, basically survives on truck drivers, and the potato processing plants)--- >20 Miles---- Hermiston (bigger then Boardman, still semi- rural in parts but more 'city' again lots of farms), ------ > 31 Miles Pendleton (County seat for Hermiston, rural in parts, famous for the Pendleton round-up) Honestly your best bet would be to live in Hermiston, you are only ~45 mins away from the Tri-Cities in Washington  (Richland, Kenewick, and Pasco) which is where your big shopping stores are, Hermiston has Wal_mart and grocery stores, and most of Eastern Oregon is full of migrant farm workers who only speak Spanish, so their culture has rubbed of in the cities (Cinco Del Mayo!) lots of taco trucks and Mexican food in the area. 

Here is some info on the weapons permit: http://www.usacarry.com/oregon_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

I thought about living in the Tri-Cities area once I found out Oregon didn't recognize my Concealed Carry Permit, what sucks even more is I can't even travel through Oregon with it. I was planning on getting a 9mm Glock for my car.

Wouldn't be much different from where I am now, in terms of diversity. 3 of my 5 neighbors are Hispanic, whats cool is they all have home gardens, and they pitch in for bee hives to be placed. I get my garden pollinated for free. 

According to one of the companies in Oregon (Eastern Oregon Power) or something like that, you can get 1Gbit in some areas, or pay a registration fee to get the equipment installed if enough people sign up. I'll probably aim for Tri-Cities if I do take the job, however that's iffy.

Boardman, OR has an Amazon Data Center there. My former co-worker Scott, worked there for awhile, until they forced him to move to Washington D.C. (Something I'll never do...).

Yeah, I would say the Tri-Cities might be a better bet for you, and you are only ~1 hour from work. I didn't know that Amazon had anything out there, it has been a while since I lived there, and Amazon must have come in after the fact!

I would not worry about the conceal carry permit in Oregon, getting the Oregon permit is a piece of cake. I have lived in the area while growing up. As far as Internet I am not sure who I had when I was there but I doubt you will get those speeds unless your in downtown business district. Maybe you could get 300mbps or so? I would recommend Portland over tri-cities in a heartbeat however. 

41 minutes ago, sidroc said:

I would recommend Portland over tri-cities in a heartbeat however. 

Except Portland is ~180 miles from the area, whereas Tri-Cites is like ~30, and if he's working in the Eastern Oregon area it makes more sense to live closer then to commute 3 hours each way.

I'm in Oregon off and on, went for the summer and going back permanently in March, The summer was fantastic there. It hardly rained any, I can only remember 2-3 days of rain the whole summer. The summer temps are awesome too, they were around 75-80. 

9 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Except Portland is ~180 miles from the area, whereas Tri-Cites is like ~30, and if he's working in the Eastern Oregon area it makes more sense to live closer then to commute 3 hours each way.

That is what I get for reading quickly lol. Pasco is nice as well.

Well, if the job offer pops up again, hopefully I'll have the cash saved, or a personal loan to move. I'll probably go to Tri-Cities, though EOT (Eastern Oregon Telecommunications) is building a Fiber Network out in Hermiston. Probably to boost the population and perks.

http://www.eotnet.com/index.php/internet/velocity-fiber-to-the-home/

Bit spendy compared to what I pay now, and there probably is data caps.