Build Review

Hey Guys,

I've been considering making a new build for quite some time as my old one is starting to show it's age.

Workload varies from: Software Development (building large projects), High end gaming (some of the newer/more demanding games), Video editing and I want to be able to have a third screen!

My current set up is:

Intel Core i7 930 (circa 2010)

ASUS P6X58D Motherboard

6GB DD3 RAM 667Mhz (Corsair if memory serves)

EVGA Geforce GTX 580

Samsung SSD 850 EVO (250gb)  [Coming to new build]

WD Green 2TB [Coming to new build]

I'm considering the build below:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/YrdsXH

I have two concerns with it:

1. I can't decide between the 1080 or the 1070 (mini itx). The bang/buck ratio seems to point toward 1070 but the reduced performance is a concern when I tend to not upgrade machines for about 5-7 years.

2. If I do buy the 1080 I strongly suspect it won't fit in the case I've purchased there. I very much want to stay within the confines of mini/micro atx.

I am budget conscious but I'd rather get the right machine than a cheap machine.

I'd appreciate any input as I've had my head out of the hardware world for quite some time and just want to be confident in my next build.

If it were me, and knowing you really want to stay with mini itx - I would go with the 1070, but I would get a slightly more powerful PSU.
I realize some calculator might claim 400W is all thats needed - but PSU is the lifeblood of all that hardware  - go for a Corsair or Seasonic 750W just to be sure.

Your old build is identical to my old build:

I had an ASUS P6X58D Premium as well
Core i7 950
12GB HyperX
500GB Evo 850
Watercooled
770GTX eVga

It was nice, but like you said - getting a little long in the tooth.

One thing to consider, and it will help in terms of space.

Are there any mini-ITX boards with a M.2 port ?  If you went with something that would handle a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro - it would be a big boost.
I can tell you from 1st hand experience, those chips are well over 2GB/sec read speeds.

On 10/22/2016 at 3:55 PM, T3X4S said:

Are there any mini-ITX boards with a M.2 port ?

"Mine" currently does. (It's currently going to Newegg for replacement)

Was a GIGABYTE GA-B150N PHOENIX-WIFI LGA 1151

Benjo85au, the proposed system will never exceed about 385W with that CPU and a 1070 so the PSU is more than sufficient. I'm running a 4970K with an overclocked 780ti (which draws more power than a 1070) and I can't pull 350w from the wall even when running a stress test. I have a 90% efficient PSU so thats about 315 REAL watts from my 550W PSU.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm looking at that board with the M.2 port. Is it mostly during file copy operations that I'm going to see those sorts of speeds or we are talking still increased real world performance over a SATA3 SSD?

Zag L. : I'm looking into getting either a slightly larger CPU or ensuring the one I've selected already has decent efficiency. I know if you get the Bronze PSU's you really want to overdo the wattage because they have pretty bad efficiency.

Why even look @ a Bronze ?  There is no reason unless money is keeping you from it.  There is no reason to get a Bronze PSU.

As far as the PSU comments - if going for something that "handles it" is all you want - then fine.  But, if it were me, I would get something that never breaks a sweat.  Overkill ?  Yes.  And for good reason.

As for the M.2 Samsung 950 speeds.  It is $70 more  than what you have in your build (if you stick with 256GB)... So, IMO - again - a no brainer.

Based on that information I think I might choose a slightly different motherboard and up the PSU a bit.

On the Bronze note, I would never consider one but I know people that do for the sake of budget. Personally I'd prefer something that's at least gold as power can do terrible things to your machine if not supplied correctly.