[Q] Best Value for Money SSD with at least 450-500GB Storage Space?

Hello

I'm looking to buy an SSD with 450-500GB storage space

I'm concerned about an average of the following three durability, performance, and price

I want to buy an SSD which will last for at least 3-5 years and has an average performance and I will use it on a laptop which has a Sata 3 Port.

I'm using an 2.5 HDD at the moment and it's slow.

I will be using my laptop for these activities:

• compiling programs (python, C++, java, android)
  • light gaming
  • internet browsing

and it will have lots of partitions:

• Windows 7 [for compatibility issues]
  • Windows 10 [main OS]
  • Linux  [education purposes]
  • Linux Swap Space
  • User Files

Expect light to medium use, 2-5 hours per day

My first thought was to get an OCZ Trion 150 480GB which is the cheapest but I read on benchmarks these drives are the slowest, they have the slowest Random read/write.

My market choices are these:

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/88/ssd-sklhroi-diskoi/f/660011/Τουλάχιστον-480GB.html

Can you recommend me any?

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'd recommend checking out the new WesternDigital Blue SSDs that came out recently. I've been hearing a lot of good things and they're priced to compete

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWQ9LYV/ref=twister_B01LZ2BZC1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

They aren't standing behind  their product with a measly 3 year warranty imo. 

Just now, adrynalyne said:

They aren't standing behind  their product with a measly 3 year warranty imo. 

yeah that's the one complaint i've been hearing

• 1 year later...

Samsung 850 series SSDs, period - especially the 850 EVO. The only reason I never bought one for my desktop has to do with the capacity; it's basically too *small*.  If I were to get one for my desktop,it would be at least 1 TB in size (the size  of my current boot partition).  However, the 500 GB size is still worthwhile for portables.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=twister_B00PRDMHLU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Samsung 850 series SSDs, period - especially the 850 EVO. The only reason I never bought one for my desktop has to do with the capacity; it's basically too *small*.  If I were to get one for my desktop,it would be at least 1 TB in size (the size  of my current boot partition).  However, the 500 GB size is still worthwhile for portables.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00OBRE5UE/ref=twister_B00PRDMHLU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You do realize this a year old, right?

On 12/14/2017 at 11:06 PM, Mindovermaster said:

You do realize this a year old, right?

Everyone makes the necro-post by mistake. Also, I can't be certain but recently Neowin forums have thrown out old threads in some weird glitch.

The amazing thing with this necro is that the Samsung advice still stands 100% the most solid option.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:53 AM, MariosX said:

Hello

I'm looking to buy an SSD with 450-500GB storage space

I'm concerned about an average of the following three durability, performance, and price

I want to buy an SSD which will last for at least 3-5 years and has an average performance and I will use it on a laptop which has a Sata 3 Port.

I'm using an 2.5 HDD at the moment and it's slow.

I will be using my laptop for these activities:

• compiling programs (python, C++, java, android)
  • light gaming
  • internet browsing

and it will have lots of partitions:

• Windows 7 [for compatibility issues]
  • Windows 10 [main OS]
  • Linux  [education purposes]
  • Linux Swap Space
  • User Files

Expect light to medium use, 2-5 hours per day

My first thought was to get an OCZ Trion 150 480GB which is the cheapest but I read on benchmarks these drives are the slowest, they have the slowest Random read/write.

My market choices are these:

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/88/ssd-sklhroi-diskoi/f/660011/Τουλάχιστον-480GB.html

Can you recommend me any?

2 things.

1. First off OCZ IS A DO NOT BUY for many including me. They were under investigation for making defective drives with bad caps and firmware which bricked themselves and lost data. However, Toshiba bought them out. They are one of the slowest drives on the market too.

2. I haven't use separate partitions in years now. Virtualization is much better and more flexible. If you need space you can resize with ease and make snapchats with ease which is essential with something like Linux where you can break things. I used to re-image Linux all the time until I had a copy of VMWare Workstation. If you opt for the professional version of Windows 10 it includes Hyper-V. You can upgrade to pro too for a small price if it comes with a home license. Also you have WSL Ubuntu for Windows too which uses the Ubuntu repository. There is VirtualBox too and it is free.

3. You can get Windows 7 apps to work on Windows 10 with a few fixes with ease.

If I were you save your money with a better lower capacity SSD like a Samsung and use virtual machines for Linux and Windows 7 if you really can't get something to work. Multiple partitions are a PITA too and you do not have to worry about corrupting volumes. Ubuntu for WIndows surprisingly works well but I do have Fedora and Ubuntu VMs in both VMware workstation and Hyper-V as well.

2 hours ago, sinetheo said:

2 things.

1. First off OCZ IS A DO NOT BUY for many including me. They were under investigation for making defective drives with bad caps and firmware which bricked themselves and lost data. However, Toshiba bought them out. They are one of the slowest drives on the market too.

2. I haven't use separate partitions in years now. Virtualization is much better and more flexible. If you need space you can resize with ease and make snapchats with ease which is essential with something like Linux where you can break things. I used to re-image Linux all the time until I had a copy of VMWare Workstation. If you opt for the professional version of Windows 10 it includes Hyper-V. You can upgrade to pro too for a small price if it comes with a home license. Also you have WSL Ubuntu for Windows too which uses the Ubuntu repository. There is VirtualBox too and it is free.

3. You can get Windows 7 apps to work on Windows 10 with a few fixes with ease.

If I were you save your money with a better lower capacity SSD like a Samsung and use virtual machines for Linux and Windows 7 if you really can't get something to work. Multiple partitions are a PITA too and you do not have to worry about corrupting volumes. Ubuntu for WIndows surprisingly works well but I do have Fedora and Ubuntu VMs in both VMware workstation and Hyper-V as well.

Can we put this thread to rest now? The poster created this over a year ago. 

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Can we put this thread to rest now? The poster created this over a year ago. 

Not counting the Zombie resurrection, that is 3 to 1 on people that realized it was necroed.

Also the question could easily be current which is pleasantly odd and hence answers in the sense all answers here should be visible to google and  are potentially useful to someone.

I am tired ATM. My sentence construction sucked. Too tired to reword it.

7 hours ago, sinetheo said:

Well now since that is brought up ... Anyone notice how the price of ram doubled and SSDs went up too since last year? Grrr

Yeah one of the advantages of DDR4 was throwing away you DDR3 wasn't so painful because of cheap plentiful 16g DIMM. 

It will probably be like last time where a small Cartel gets fined a few billion dollars representing just a fraction of the price-fixed profits. Big incentive to "Rinse and Repeat"

On 12/16/2017 at 10:15 PM, DevTech said:

This thread could become an interesting survey of how many people skim the answers already given before responding to the question. I'm curious to know if is 50/50 random or not.

lol - I was going to suggest the model that @adrynalyne posted in the 2nd post. :)