network drops out but wifi still connected

I'm seeing this in one of my houses, I have a Microtik routerboard router which I have an ASUS RT-AC3200 plugged into which is running in AP mode.

Randomly when someone in that house is using wifi windows will put a yellow triangle on the signal bars and say limited connectivity. The Signal is still good though and didn't drop out, SNR is great during that time also, and no visible signal spikes or drops when watching it with a spectrum analyzer.

It's almost like the network is turning off for a minute then back on.

The rest of the house is hardwired into a 48 port switch and into the microtik router on another port.

I have no logs of the port the AP is plugged into dropping off, and it does this no mater what port of the 8 ports on it that it is plugged into. but very randomly.

Anyone ever see anything like this or on an ASUS AP like this one? I originally wanted to blame it on the device, but noticed that all devices on wifi do the same thing at the same time, so I am thinking the AP is dropping traffic but keeping the connection to the devices?

I had a similar issue in the past that turned out to be a neighbor trying to jam wifi signals... but that completely knocked out the wifi to a horrible SNR level. This is definitely not the same thing (same area though)

On 10/26/2016 at 8:27 PM, neufuse said:

and say limited connectivity

Normally this just means couldn't talk to dns, or lost its IP and used APIPA..

So your saying all devices do it all at the same time?  What are you using for dns?  Check that this is not a problem..   You could have connection to your wifi fine, but for whatever reason its not passing traffic.  So it just happens and then goes away all on its own?  Get some pings going to your router IP from multiple devices, even say pinging the AP IP, other devices on your network IP both wireless and wired..  When they go to limited access do you loose your pings to your gateway, AP everything?

None of your hardwired devices do it.. Yeah points to something in wifi, it could just stop passing traffic to the wired network.  Which is why would be curious if you loose pings to the AP itself and or other wifi devices, etc.  Maybe its time to graduate to real AP ;) or more than 1 for your "houses"  Guessing you own multiple houses then small cost of a AP or 2 or 3 should not be a issue - heheheh

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Normally this just means couldn't talk to dns, or lost its IP and used APIPA..

So your saying all devices do it all at the same time?  What are you using for dns?  Check that this is not a problem..   You could have connection to your wifi fine, but for whatever reason its not passing traffic.  So it just happens and then goes away all on its own?  Get some pings going to your router IP from multiple devices, even say pinging the AP IP, other devices on your network IP both wireless and wired..  When they go to limited access do you loose your pings to your gateway, AP everything?

None of your hardwired devices do it.. Yeah points to something in wifi, it could just stop passing traffic to the wired network.  Which is why would be curious if you loose pings to the AP itself and or other wifi devices, etc.  Maybe its time to graduate to real AP ;) or more than 1 for your "houses"  Guessing you own multiple houses then small cost of a AP or 2 or 3 should not be a issue - heheheh

DNS wise it's Comcast's normal DNSSEC based servers. When this happens I can not ping the router, or the AP. If I assign a static IP to the device same issue (just to be sure not some odd DHCP lease renewal issue). When this happens all hardwired devices can ping the router and AP just fine. Wireless devices all go into "limited access" mode even if they are statically assigned and no mater what the DNS is set to.. I've tried using the Router's DNS server, straight to Comcast, to google (8.8.8.8) no effect on the wireless devices..

So traffic from the router to the AP is passing ok, router to AP pings are fine, the AP web UI will load fine, it's just like for some reason the wifi stopped passing packets for about 1 minute then it's back to normal.

I'm close to putting meraki devices in all the locations so I can manage them at one portal. one right now has UniFi, this house is about 500 miles away and still has the ASUS router set up as an AP... so it's on the todo list, but the people staying at that location are bugging me about it going out all the time....

I am considering Cisco Meraki AP's because I use them at work and at least know their portal pretty well. but that's probably not until 2017.

Well if you can ping the AP or access its portal - then its wifi to wired, so the bridge aspect has gone a bit nuts..  That is just some BS home router, I doubt it has any sort of syslog debug where you could get some info on what is going on.. Like in unifi I can get all kinds of debug info for what is happening via just sending to syslog or right on the AP..

Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway user.info syslog: wevent.ubnt_custom_event(): EVENT_STA_JOIN ath6: 0c:51:01:8c:19:ae / 1
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway daemon.info hostapd: ath6: STA 0c:51:01:8c:19:ae IEEE 802.11: associated
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway kern.warn kernel: [17635.830000] wmi_unified_event_rx : no registered event handler : event id 0x901b
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway daemon.info hostapd: ath6: STA 0c:51:01:8c:19:ae RADIUS: starting accounting session 5814AD75-00000002
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway daemon.info hostapd: ath6: STA 0c:51:01:8c:19:ae IEEE 802.1X: authenticated - EAP type: 13 (TLS)
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway daemon.info hostapd: ath6: STA 0c:51:01:8c:19:ae WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway kern.warn kernel: [17636.000000]  ieee80211_ioctl_setparam: VLANID32 = 0
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway kern.warn kernel: [17636.000000] 0c:51:01:8c:19:ae: node vid=0 rsn_authmode=0x00000040, ni_authmode=0x00
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway kern.warn kernel: [17636.070000] [wifi1] FWLOG: [18078586] RATE: ChainMask 3, phymode 1044490, ni_flags 0x06233006, vht_mcs_set 0xfffa, ht_mcs_set 0xffff, legacy_rate_set 0x113dc2f
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway kern.warn kernel: [17636.070000] [wifi1] FWLOG: [18078767] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_ALLOW_DATA ( 0x432624 )
Oct 29 11:39:39 UAP-AC-PROhallway kern.warn kernel: [17636.070000] [wifi1] FWLOG: [18078771] RATE: ChainMask 3, phymode 1044490, ni_flags 0x06233006, vht_mcs_set 0xfffa, ht_mcs_set 0xffff, legacy_rate_set 0x0401

So I can watch an authentication, etc.  If there was problem with the AP putting something on the wire there should be some log of that, etc..   You really need to move to better level equipment if you want some more answers to what is going on than just its broke - reboot it ;)  If you put maybe some 3rd party firmware on it maybe you could get some detail logs to what is going on, etc.  But asus running just their native firmware, I do not believe there is any sort of log/debug mode that might be able to tell you what is going on or what the issue is, that could lead you to what might be causing it.

Have you put the latest greatest firmware on it from them, or maybe rolled back to a previous to see if there is just some odd bug in the version your running?