Issues with new MAF

So CEL kept coming on in my car. Error code read that the mass airflow . So I got a new part and replaced it. Since, when I am at a stop and accelerate, the car jerks for a second before kicking it and speeding up. The old sensor didnt have this problem but caused the CEL to come on.

Replacing the MAF sensor is simple so I am pretty sure it was done right. Just not sure if there was anything else I may have missed. Have not tried putting back in the old sensor, have not had a lot of time, so just looking for ideas at the moment.

Other things to note is that I did replace my intake with a short ram about 5 years ago and just started having issues with the CEL coming on. Along with replacing my MAF, I also replaced the air filter. It is a KN type air filter (cone shaped). All clamps are tight. And the car only jerks for a second when I am accelerating from a stop or almost a full stop. After that, there there is no issues with the car jerking or accelerating. I also disconnected the battery since I had to clean the terminals.

I dont tinker with cars much and just do simple repairs myself.  MAF is just 2 screws and a plug to replace and I have replaced many before.  So really not sure where to go from here.  I do plan on putting the old MAF back in and seeing if the problem is still there, but want to make sure there is nothing else I should check.  Again, the jerking as not an issue until I swapped out the MAF and air filter.

Your old air sensor is gummed up with oil from your filter. I could have told how to fix it. It is a common issue with oil based filters. Take a can of electrical cleaner and spray the filament using the entire can. It is a $7 or so fix. 

But your issue with the maf now is a bad maf sensor, regardless if it is throwing a code or not.  I would just get the whole thing, the sensor fibers are very delicate. 

17 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Your old air sensor is gummed up with oil from your filter. I could have told how to fix it. It is a common issue with oil based filters. Take a can of electrical cleaner and spray the filament using the entire can. It is a $7 or so fix. 

But your issue with the maf now is a bad maf sensor, regardless if it is throwing a code or not.  I would just get the whole thing, the sensor fibers are very delicate. 

I already replaced the MAF with a new unit/sensor.  The new sensor is causing the car to jerk and id described above

25 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I already replaced the MAF with a new unit/sensor.  The new sensor is causing the car to jerk and id described above

And you have another bad maf as I said above. Not calibrated properly or you messed up the delicate sensor hairs. It doesn't take much to mess them up. Better off getting the whole assembly from manufacturer. 

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

And you have another bad maf as I said above. Not calibrated properly or you messed up the delicate sensor hairs. It doesn't take much to mess them up. Better off getting the whole assembly from manufacturer. 

Never touch anything by the top of the sensor.  Calibrated may be an issue since I found out that you should remove the neg battery cable for a few min (which I did) and then let start the car and let idle for about 10 min for it to calibrate, which I didnt do.

I have a lifetime warranty on the sensor so no big deal if it is just a bad part.  Will just get it replaced.

If you aren't real careful inserting into the housing, the sensor could be messed up. 

lifetime warranty on electrical isn't usual, but I would abuse it.

I calibrated the MAF correctly.  Just think the part I got for Autozone is a crap manufacturer.  I took apart the whole intake and made sure there were no cracks/tears in the tubes or couplers.  Cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF Cleaner pretty good and put everything back together.  Drove for about 8 miles or so but normally takes 20-40 miles if the CEL Does come on.  So shall see tomorrow on the way to work what happens.

If the CEL comes back on, going to put back on the stock air filter and see what happens.  Comes on with stock, going to order a toyota part and skip these 3rd party manufacturers.

And the MAF aren ot messed up.  Never touched anything but to top of the MAF and always put it carefully.

I personally don't like messing with them. Just give me the whole assembly and call it a day. Much more expensive but I know it works.   

Good luck

On 11/1/2016 at 5:47 PM, sc302 said:

I personally don't like messing with them. Just give me the whole assembly and call it a day. Much more expensive but I know it works.   

Good luck

Cannot get the while assembly with my car.  Just the sensor so that is not an option.

Anyway, CEL came back on again after cleaned everything.  So going to install the stock intake tonight and see how that goes.  If the CEL pops on again, I will order a Toyota brand MAF part online.  CEL always come on with my CAI but that was once a year or so.  No big deal.  Not it is every other day so something screwy is going on.

I had a similar issue with my G37.  It was caused by a dead battery messing with the software.  From a dead stop, I would accelerate, and when it hit 1200 RPM, it would cut out, then take off.  Was very annoying.  Everyone said it was a cam sensor, then some other BS, I knew it was electrical, software related - just a hunch.

I had the software flashed, and the problem went away.  

When yours cuts out, is it always @ the exact same RPM ?  Does it do it from accelerating from higher RPM, or only from a dead stop ?

It could very well be a MAF, or some other intake sensor - totally plausible.  But - my somewhat similar situation was solved from a software flash.
FWIW