The Elder Scrolls Online is free to play tomorrow through Sunday

Only on PS4, PC and Mac. Xbox One trial to follow.

By Jeffrey Matulef Published 15/11/2016

The Elder Scrolls Online is going to be free to play between 16th-20th November on PS4, PC and Mac.

The PS4 free weekend will begin in just over an hour at 12.01am UK time on the 16th. The PC and Mac version will follow at 6am GMT.

Better yet, PlayStation Plus is not required to participate in this limited trial.

The free play weekend will include full access to The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited along with 500 crowns to buy various in-game goods. Any progress made during the free weekend will carry over to the full game should players purchase it after.

Continues...

The game is also currently on sale on PSN, if anyone is interested in buying:

TES: Online Tamriel Unlimited Ed
TES: Online Gold Edt

TES: Online Gold Edt Premium

It's on sale for $10 for the base game or $30 for Gold, which includes four DLCs. And it was still playable Monday morning, though I'm sure it isn't now (Tuesday morning).

Considering getting it... not sure if it's worth it for the $30, but I think it might be. My first impression was poor. I did not like the training dungeon, and just wanted to explore. Second time I played it, I explored a bit more, and wanted to do some quests, and found myself liking it a bit more. So I might buy it. I don't know. I'm still enjoying the hell outta Fallout 4 and I'm at least going to go for 100% achievements on the XB1 version (already did so on PC).

5 hours ago, dragontology said:

It's on sale for $10 for the base game or $30 for Gold, which includes four DLCs. And it was still playable Monday morning, though I'm sure it isn't now (Tuesday morning).

Considering getting it... not sure if it's worth it for the $30, but I think it might be. My first impression was poor. I did not like the training dungeon, and just wanted to explore. Second time I played it, I explored a bit more, and wanted to do some quests, and found myself liking it a bit more. So I might buy it. I don't know. I'm still enjoying the hell outta Fallout 4 and I'm at least going to go for 100% achievements on the XB1 version (already did so on PC).

If you enjoy the exploring aspect of TES, the latest update to the game is right up your alley.

Have you ever wanted to join your friends in an online game, but faced the daunting task of catching up to their level? Or have you wished that you could adventure in Tamriel alongside friends and guildmates who are in another alliance? One Tamriel changes the game so that grouping with characters of different alliances and levels is easy. Gone are the days of needing to make an alt in order to play with friends due to a difference in levels and/or alliance. We have removed alliance restrictions for all PVE areas of the game—now Daggerfall Covenant characters can quest with their rivals in the Aldmeri Dominion. Even the Ebonheart Pact can get involved. Don't worry, you can still battle in Cyrodiil and the Imperial City!

This open-world freedom doesn't end with questing and exploring the far reaches of Tamriel. One Tamriel also expands your ability to find groups to explore dungeons or take on Trials. It also opens the door for more diverse groups to adventure together, so you can begin forging your legend from Eastmarch to Shadowfen and beyond. If you've already explored every corner of Tamriel, consider taking a new adventurer out with you and show them the ropes—your characters will scale to any zone you wish to visit.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/10/05/update-12-brings-players-together-in-one-tamriel-for-pcmac

In short; go where you want, when you want, and complete any quest at any level.

• Like 1

So they're pulling that one from GW2, more or less. While that is nice the game play still looks dreadfully bland. I could be wrong though as I haven't actually played since a few months after the game was initially released.

1 hour ago, trag3dy said:

So they're pulling that one from GW2, more or less. While that is nice the game play still looks dreadfully bland. I could be wrong though as I haven't actually played since a few months after the game was initially released.

Actually they're pulling level calling from the Elder scrolls games. there's also many other games, online and not that have had level scaling before and after GW2 so.. EQ2 in fact had, something similar for friends to play together after they outlevelled an area, if they teamed with a lower level character, their character was debuffed to their level. both methods have their strengths and different purposes. 

1 hour ago, trag3dy said:

Don't levels only dynamically scale down in GW2? (At least in PVE).

In TES:O you are always appropriately leveled in any area of the game. Builds are the difference between lower rank and higher ranked players:

In general, higher level players will be the same “level” as lower level players, but they will have far more tools in their arsenal: better gear, more abilities, and of course more Champion points.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/06/12/matt-firors-message-from-be3

In what way did you find TESO bland before? The setting/art style? Questing or something else?

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Don't levels only dynamically scale down in GW2? (At least in PVE).

In TES:O you are always appropriately leveled in any area of the game. Builds are the difference between lower rank and higher ranked players:

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/06/12/matt-firors-message-from-be3

In what way did you find TESO bland before? The setting/art style? Questing or something else?

I found it bland in just about every way a game can be bland in. Boring combat, boring art style for armor and weapons, ugly character animations, boring quests, boring dungeons and so on. The only thing I liked was the environments. 

The game had quite a few other issues at the time too that may or may not be fixed by now. One huge one is that the game didn't sync quest progress with people who were in the same party as you. So if you were playing with friends like I was it was a constant hassle to make sure we'd all finish a quest and didn't get ahead of each other which resulted in a lot of back tracking to figure out where we got seperated. That's something pretty basic for an mmo but they got it wrong.

If you liked the over styled japan inspired armor and weapons of GW then you'll find the western rpg with a slightly more realistic twist armor ands tyle of ES bland. most ESO armor even for females are also full armor not just for the non invincible parts like breasts and genitals, and with everyone shining in ultra bright colors. 

I wouldn't call it bland, just, different. it's ESO style. it's not my favorite style, but I prefer it over GW2 and similar, it's got a style that screams "wow, games are made for 14 year old kids!", which isn't necessarily bad for those who like it, but I prefer a more toned down realistic and mature style. 

14 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

One huge one is that the game didn't sync quest progress with people who were in the same party as you. So if you were playing with friends like I was it was a constant hassle to make sure we'd all finish a quest and didn't get ahead of each other which resulted in a lot of back tracking to figure out where we got seperated. That's something pretty basic for an mmo but they got it wrong.

There was very good reason for why it worked like this, I didn't necessarily agree with it, but basically the game was very story focused and major parts of the quest where single player story  quests, those where the parts that didn't sync, naturally, since only one person could be in their instance in most cases. They could have gone more in the direction of ToR there though, but they wanted to be unique. 

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

If you liked the over styled japan inspired armor and weapons of GW then you'll find the western rpg with a slightly more realistic twist armor ands tyle of ES bland. most ESO armor even for females are also full armor not just for the non invincible parts like breasts and genitals, and with everyone shining in ultra bright colors. 

I wouldn't call it bland, just, different. it's ESO style. it's not my favorite style, but I prefer it over GW2 and similar, it's got a style that screams "wow, games are made for 14 year old kids!", which isn't necessarily bad for those who like it, but I prefer a more toned down realistic and mature style. 

That's great. But I do. And it had nothing to do with skimpy or over the top armors full of lights or decorations.