Halo 15th Anniversary Celebration

By 343 Industries - 19 hours ago

On November 15, 2001, I wasn’t working on Halo. I was working on Zoo Tycoon for the PC and Fuzion Frenzy for Xbox. I remember the E3 before the launch of our first Xbox and Halo: Combat Evolved – prior to that first console release, we were a PC gaming company mainly focused on titles like Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Golf, and Pandora’s Box, amongst a host of others of course. We showed up at that E3 with a first-person-shooter on our console without a locked framerate – keep in mind that back in the day, the FPS genre was a PC-only domain. Needless to say, industry gossip ensued.

What I love about Halo is it defied the odds on all levels. It brought the FPS to the console. It brought story to the FPS. And in my opinion, it made Xbox relevant (luckily, only my community team edits me so I can say whatever I want here!). Halo: Combat Evolved truly did change the game, and it did so in so many ways. For me it was the Silent Cartographer, the Magnum, the tranquility of my underwater drives in the Warthog, and the unpredicted fun of the Halo sandbox.

As Halo hits its 15-year anniversary, I want to thank Bungie for having initially brought this world and game to life. I want to thank the fans for making Halo their own. And I want to thank our team at 343 for continuing to carry that torch forward. The Halo universe belongs to the community and it is an honor to serve you.

Happy Birthday, Halo!

-b

Bonnie Ross, Head of 343 Industries

Continues...