• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Oklahoma Man Arrested in Police "Chase" @ 208mph in a Mustang

sc302    1,789
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Maybe.

A Veyron has a top speed of 258 (tounded). It takes another 297hp in the Chiron to get to 261 (rounded). That is a whole 3MPH faster.

but we aren't talking 250+ or the forces at 250+ that requires a certain hp number and other aspects to be able to hit....we are talking just about 200mph.  apples to apples. 200mph is under 900 hp to reach.  250 is over 1000hp to reach.  The same rules that apply to 250 do not apply to 200...stick your hand out at 50 mph compared to 0 mph, the air pressure will push your hand back a bit if you hold it into the wind.  What I am saying here is that 50mph could be the difference between a rain storm, a monsoon, or a hurricane.  50mph is a lot.

• Like 1

Buttus    1,231

they should take his car and turn it into an unmarked police car!

adrynalyne    13,404
11 minutes ago, sc302 said:

but we aren't talking 250+ or the forces at 250+ that requires a certain hp number and other aspects to be able to hit....we are talking just about 200mph.  apples to apples. 200mph is under 900 hp to reach.  250 is over 1000hp to reach.  The same rules that apply to 250 do not apply to 200...stick your hand out at 50 mph compared to 0 mph, the air pressure will push your hand back a bit if you hold it into the wind.  What I am saying here is that 50mph could be the difference between a rain storm, a monsoon, or a hurricane.  50mph is a lot.

Under 900, if you have enough straight road and other ideal conditions.  You can't expect me to believe that the conditions were ideal for this at night, with lights off, while being chased by the police. I know the same rules don't apply at 250+, but we also aren't talking a 3mph gain. 

I also said 850hp+, so you are actually agreeing with me. 

sc302    1,789
1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

I'd be curious how long a straight, perfect road you would need to hit 202. I am certain that wasn't the case in the above article. I am still standing by 850hp+, or nitrous added to an already beastly car as mentioned earlier. It could have also been gutted for weight savings.

O_o  hp is hp, it doesn't matter how you get it.  202mi was at a track in italy which is roughly 8mi long. 

My friend at sloppy mechanics takes old nasty ford fairmonts and turns them into beastly cars.  rips the guts out, puts in lsx motor and turbo with 100+lb of fuel into the cyls to make over 800 hp.  It can be done even to turd boxes. 

I am sure with your math you will find that it is horribly inaccurate to judge 3mph gains from 0, assuming you need 300hp to get to 3mph.  so judging 10 mph at your hp quote, you can see where your inaccuracy lies.

meh, arguing accuracy to your inaccurate math....your apples to apples comparison is more oranges to bananas.  comparing other 200mph cars would be apples to apples, comparing 250mph cars to 200mph cars is oranges to bananas.  being that 250mph was an elusive number for a long time, you would have to throw a ridiculous amount of hp to it.  200 was/is somewhat common, not a unicorn.

adrynalyne    13,404
19 minutes ago, sc302 said:

O_o  hp is hp, it doesn't matter how you get it.  202mi was at a track in italy which is roughly 8mi long. 

My friend at sloppy mechanics takes old nasty ford fairmonts and turns them into beastly cars.  rips the guts out, puts in lsx motor and turbo with 100+lb of fuel into the cyls to make over 800 hp.  It can be done even to turd boxes. 

I am sure with your math you will find that it is horribly inaccurate to judge 3mph gains from 0, assuming you need 300hp to get to 3mph.  so judging 10 mph at your hp quote, you can see where your inaccuracy lies.

meh, arguing accuracy to your inaccurate math....your apples to apples comparison is more oranges to bananas.  comparing other 200mph cars would be apples to apples, comparing 250mph cars to 200mph cars is oranges to bananas.  being that 250mph was an elusive number for a long time, you would have to throw a ridiculous amount of hp to it.  200 was/is somewhat common, not a unicorn.

Are you inventing arguments? I didn't make any comment towards the validity of how HP was gained. 

sc302    1,789

I make no validity either of how hp was gained....

"850+ or nitrous added"  read that and think about that for a bit.  let it stew, these are your words I quoted.

We don't know what kind of car it is to begin with, what base it is or what mods have been done (I think we can all agree on whatever model it is, it sure isn't stock).  getting to 850 hp, if that is your number, would be irrelevant if he used nitrous or not....he got there, it is irrelevant mentioning nitrous at that point or are you saying that nitrous is some mystical chemical that can give you speed without making hp?  Not arguing, but you see where it is irrelevant to mention it, unless you believe that it is a magical chemical that induces ludicrous gains in speed and acceleration without any other gains or thought to the components of the engine or fuel.

alpha2beta    411

Pure and simple, radar gun was malfunctioning. The likelihood of this being true is very small. Aerodynamics of a Ford Mustang is very poor at anywhere near those speeds.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    13,404
1 minute ago, sc302 said:

I make not validity either of how hp was gained....

"850+ or nitrous added"  read that and think about that for a bit.  let it stew, these are your words I quoted or am I making that up.

We don't know what kind of car it is to begin with, what base it is or what mods have been done (I think we can all agree on whatever model it is, it sure isn't stock).  getting to 850 hp, if that is your number, would be irrelevant if he used nitrous or not....he got there, it is irrelevant mentioning nitrous at that point or are you saying that nitrous is some mystical chemical that can give you speed without making hp?

There was nothing confusing about what I said nor was there contention. I really don't have time to argue something that wasn't an argument in the first place. 

He had enough horsepower either via engine or nitrous. You yourself said it doesn't matter how the hp was gained. I never said otherwise. I don't even care how he got there. I'm just saying it was well above 660 some odd HP. Unless somehow he managed to travel to Italy during this chase, heh. 

sc302    1,789
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

There was nothing confusing about what I said nor was there contention. I really don't have time to argue something that wasn't an argument in the first place. 

He had enough horsepower either via engine or nitrous. You yourself said it doesn't matter how the hp was gained. I never said otherwise. I don't even care how he got there. I'm just saying it was well above 660 some odd HP. Unless somehow he managed to travel to Italy during this chase, heh. 

fair enough lol.

T3X4S    4,533
7 hours ago, Buttus said:

they should take his car and turn it into an unmarked police car!

LOL - for what it will cost to get it out of impound - I am sure they already have the police lights sitting next to it - ready to install.

• Like 1

Daedroth    492

"Tried to elude the chase vehicle by turning off his headlights and brake lights"

I assume they mean that he turned off his night-time running lights, rather than his brake lights?

The Evil Overlord    18,442
On 17/11/2016 at 3:57 PM, sc302 said:

fair enough lol.

No point arguing with him, he refused to believe my old 212 HP Ex Police Vauxhall Omega can do 160+ MPH.

9 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

I assume they mean that he turned off his night-time running lights, rather than his brake lights?

It's Ford, so they probably weren't working in the first place :p

• Like 2

Nashy    1,662

You'd have to have absolute rocks in your head to pull those sorts of speeds out of such a horribly unsafe car (based on Euro NCAP / ANCAP, not the rubbish yank one).

8 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

No point arguing with him, he refused to believe my old 212 HP Ex Police Vauxhall Omega can do 160+ MPH.

212HP?  What KW was it putting to the wheels, because honestly, that sounds like a complete and utter fabrication of the truth.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nashy said:

You'd have to have absolute rocks in your head to pull those sorts of speeds out of such a horribly unsafe car (based on Euro NCAP / ANCAP, not the rubbish yank one).

212HP?  What KW was it putting to the wheels, because honestly, that sounds like a complete and utter fabrication of the truth.

I don't know, but UK Highway Police used to use a lot of Omegas, and specials use even more powerful interceptor vehicles...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304618/PC-Mark-Milton-Police-officer-caused-outcry-testing-patrol-car-159mph-cleared-high-speed-crash.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=police+officer+doing+159+miles+an+hour&oq=police+officer+doing+159+miles+an+h&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33.20552j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This story is old now, but I remember seeing this on the news.

As my old Car was Ex Police Motorway Patrol car, I had no reason to believe what I was told when I bought it. Having never maxxed it to find out, (chickened out at a high speed, but the rev counter had over 2000 rpm available) The high end Vauxhalls have a habit of going faster than the brochure's listed speed.

• Like 1

Nashy    1,662
10 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I don't know, but UK Highway Police used to use a lot of Omegas, and specials use even more powerful interceptor vehicles...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304618/PC-Mark-Milton-Police-officer-caused-outcry-testing-patrol-car-159mph-cleared-high-speed-crash.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=police+officer+doing+159+miles+an+hour&oq=police+officer+doing+159+miles+an+h&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33.20552j0j4&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

This story is old now, but I remember seeing this on the news.

As my old Car was Ex Police Motorway Patrol car, I had no reason to believe what I was told when I bought it. Having never maxxed it to find out, (chickened out at a high speed, but the rev counter had over 2000 rpm available) The high end Vauxhalls have a habit of going faster than the brochure's listed speed.

I've no doubt your car was quick, but it has to have had work for that to occur.  

adrynalyne    13,404
11 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I still don't. I totally believe 160 km/hr though. 

• Like 1

T3X4S    4,533

The other day I had a Huracan almost take off the back end of my car.

On George Bush tollway near Lewisville, and I am just casually driving, listening to my audiobook (Ready Player One) - in my own little world - when all of a sudden I almost crap my pants when this insane idiot thinks its funny to get as close as possible to me when he passes (there were not other cars he had to manuever around - he did on purpose) - I was probably going around 80mph - he HAD to be going at least 140~ - never heard anything until he was next to me.

I realize this is slightly off topic - but I just felt like I had to mention it :whistle:

I've no doubt your car was quick, but it has to have had work for that to occur.  

It may take a mile or 2 to get there, but my point was it didn't need 600 horses to do so.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:
I still don't. I totally believe 160 km/hr though. 

Most cars'll do 160KPH [emoji14]
I never said it was a 10 second car
If I remember correctly, Top Gear did do a drag race with one of those GSI Vectras, and it topped 160MPH, I don't recall the actual Speed it reached.
The reason it sticks in my mind was because the theoretical list of cars it went up against for it's performance figures, were £100 Grand and up, According to Jeremy Clarkson.

• Like 1

adrynalyne    13,404
1 hour ago, The Evil Overlord said:

It may take a mile or 2 to get there, but my point was it didn't need 600 horses to do so.

Yeah on  a straight road with no obstacles, curves, pot hole, dips, no upwards hills, etc. Even elevation plays a part. 

In other words, ideal circumstances you will rarely if ever encounter in real life which means you need to do it some other way likely in a shorter distance, such as higher HP. Same thing hitting over 200+ on a public road (and HP has diminishing returns, the faster you go). Especially if police are chasing you. Do you think they just parked in the side of the road and let the guy run for a few miles to see how fast he could go?

I might add that just because you saw it on the internet doesn't mean it's not a one-off circumstance and that you will be able to do yourself. 

Edited by adrynalyne
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Yeah on  a straight road with no obstacles, curves, pot hole, dips, no upwards hills, etc. Even elevation plays a part. 

In other words, ideal circumstances you will rarely if ever encounter in real life which means you need to do it some other way likely in a shorter distance, such as higher HP. Same thing hitting over 200+ on a public road (and HP has diminishing returns, the faster you go). Especially if police are chasing you. Do you think they just parked in the side of the road and let the guy run for a few miles to see how fast he could go?

I might add that just because you saw it on the internet doesn't mean it's not a one-off circumstance and that you will be able to do yourself. 

I mentioned at that a high speed I chickened out while the engine still have revs to go, I was at 150, I got scared, I backed down. There aren't many places I could think of near me with a long enough straight.

As far as your remark about it being on the internet, I mentioned I remember seeing it on the news, and it had appeared on the news papers in the UK.

The video goes on to Mention one of the Vectras that is capable or reaching those speeds with relative ease.

I get you don't believe me, and I wouldn't normally care, as I've seen things in my life, I've delivered AMG Mercs on the back of my transporter before now.

Hell I've delivered Transmission systems to a factory, that I didn't know at the time, they went into the Vanquish, I have a longer list of personal achievements I've witnessed in one way or another, but trying to prove it is impossible as you weren't there.

(I don't like being called a liar, especially when I know I'm not lying, even if I can't prove it)

• Like 1

adrynalyne    13,404
Just now, The Evil Overlord said:

I mentioned at that a high speed I chickened out while the engine still have revs to go, I was at 150, I got scared, I backed down. There aren't many places I could think of near me with a long enough straight.

As far as your remark about it being on the internet, I mentioned I remember seeing it on the news, and it had appeared on the news papers in the UK.

The video goes on to Mention one of the Vectras that is capable or reaching those speeds with relative ease.

I get you don't believe me, and I wouldn't normally care, as I've seen things in my life, I've delivered AMG Mercs on the back of my transporter before now.

Hell I've delivered Transmission systems to a factory, that I didn't know at the time, they went into the Vanquish, I have a longer list of personal achievements I've witnessed in one way or another, but trying to prove it is impossible as you weren't there.

(I don't like being called a liar, especially when I know I'm not lying, even if I can't prove it)

Me not believing you isn't calling you a liar. I've no doubt you believe what you are saying but I do not. You are just going to have to deal with the fact people aren't going to believe you. Don't like it? Get off the Internet then because his wont be the first nor the last time. Sorry if I am coming off kind of harsh, but I'm not going to be pressured by you to change how I feel about something just because you feel I should believe you. 

• Like 1

Circaflex    3,604
17 hours ago, Nashy said:

I was thinking the same thing, 160 miles per hour? I doubt it, especially at 212HP how long did that take? Curious to know the year as well, dont most governors on cars stop you from going over ~155 for the most part? 160mph seems like a stretch of the truth.

Power increased to 204 bhp (152 kW; 207 PS), which increased top speed to 240 km/h (149 mph), and 0–100 km/h time dropped to 7.6 seconds. In countries where the car was sold as a Vauxhall, the Omega 3000 was called the Carlton GSi 3000.

I haven't followed the conversation long enough, but unless the car was modded or I found the wrong information, I think there was truth stretching.

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Me not believing you isn't calling you a liar. I've no doubt you believe what you are saying but I do not. You are just going to have to deal with the fact people aren't going to believe you. Don't like it? Get off the Internet then because his wont be the first nor the last time. Sorry if I am coming off kind of harsh, but I'm not going to be pressured by you to change how I feel about something just because you feel I should believe you. 

Where did I ask you to change? I only said I can't prove that I've seen or done the things I said.

I only said you don't need 600 horses to reach 160mph

If I recall correctly, I believe the entry level V6 VW Phaeton though governed and limited was clocked at 170 in Germany

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I was thinking the same thing, 160 miles per hour? I doubt it, especially at 212HP how long did that take? Curious to know the year as well, dont most governors on cars stop you from going over ~155 for the most part? 160mph seems like a stretch of the truth.

The point was it CAN be done!

The Car was a 3.2

• Like 1