Is it worth upgrading from a 32" to a 40" TV?

I've had my Samsung 32" 1080p TV for about two and a half years and since I moved to my own apartment last year and Black Friday is now approaching, I was wondering if I should take advantage of the BF deals and try to upgrade to a bigger TV. Given my current layout in my living room, I have just enough room to fit a 40" TV. If I get something bigger, it would require me to redo the layout of my living room and move furniture around in order to accommodate the extra room that the big TV would take. Not to mention that it's harder to transport an over 40" TV from the store to my apartment, which would force me to have my TV delivered and thus, mishandled by people.

So, if I'm going bigger, it would have to be about 40". Now the question is, is the extra 8" going to be a big enough improvement to justify spending money to replace my 2.5 year old, perfectly working 32" TV? Or is it better to just wait for my TV to die down and buy a bigger and better TV then?

I would recommend waiting, unless you've got a sale on local to you

the 40 will be an upgrade, you'll think the difference is huge at first

my 50 plasma was one HELL of an upgrade to my old 33 inch CRT

But, if you're not sure, and with how much 4K is beginning to come down in price, it might be worth waiting, (as I myself am waiting for the sales to see if I can snap up a 60 in 4K to replace my old 50)

I went from a 32" to a 48" and I wouldn't go any smaller.  Almost regret getting one that small.  Hooked a PC up to it with my Sony receiver with speakers and called it a day.   You should wait, IMHO.

49 minutes ago, DaDude said:

I've had my Samsung 32" 1080p TV for about two and a half years and since I moved to my own apartment last year and Black Friday is now approaching, I was wondering if I should take advantage of the BF deals and try to upgrade to a bigger TV. Given my current layout in my living room, I have just enough room to fit a 40" TV. If I get something bigger, it would require me to redo the layout of my living room and move furniture around in order to accommodate the extra room that the big TV would take. Not to mention that it's harder to transport an over 40" TV from the store to my apartment, which would force me to have my TV delivered and thus, mishandled by people.

So, if I'm going bigger, it would have to be about 40". Now the question is, is the extra 8" going to be a big enough improvement to justify spending money to replace my 2.5 year old, perfectly working 32" TV? Or is it better to just wait for my TV to die down and buy a bigger and better TV then?

don't bother, unless you are willing to redo the layout of your room, and bask in glory of your new large screen. ;)

actually, how good is your current TV?  maybe this can help?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5133600.p?skuId=5133600

2 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

don't bother, unless you are willing to redo the layout of your room, and bask in glory of your new large screen. ;)

actually, how good is your current TV?  maybe this can help?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5133600.p?skuId=5133600

This is my current TV....

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN32EH5000-32-Inch-1080p-Model/dp/B0071O4ETQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479962709&sr=8-1&keywords=Samsung+UN32EH5000

At  8 feet, the minimum recommended TV size is 32" for 1080P (and the maximum 63"), and 65" for 4K (assuming you are watching 4K content).

A change from 32" to 40" at this distance is unlikely to be that noticable.  I would be shooting for at least 43", if not 49/50".  I upgraded from a 46" to a 55" on an 18' room, and I couldn't tell at all.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2016 at 9:41 PM, Shiranui said:

Get a "Polaroid" TV during the UK "Black Friday" week thingy.......

Ever had one? They are terrible. 

11 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

At  8 feet, the minimum recommended TV size is 32" for 1080P (and the maximum 63"), and 65" for 4K (assuming you are watching 4K content).

A change from 32" to 40" at this distance is unlikely to be that noticable.  I would be shooting for at least 43", if not 49/50".  I upgraded from a 46" to a 55" on an 18' room, and I couldn't tell at all.

I agree with you. I always thought 32" was adequate for my living room size and viewing distance, but all my friends and co-workers keep telling me that my TV is way too small and that I need to get something bigger. So, it's been bugging me ever since...

Just now, DaDude said:

I agree with you. I always thought 32" was adequate for my living room size and viewing distance, but all my friends and co-workers keep telling me that my TV is way too small and that I need to get something bigger. So, it's been bugging me ever since...

Peer pressure is a stupid reason to upgrade.

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I take it you haven't read any of his other threads like this one.  Everything from flip-flops to TV's now.

• Like 1

Just now, metallithrax said:

I take it you haven't read any of his other threads like this one.  Everything from flip-flops to TV's now.

I have. I just didn't reply to those ;)

The women's shoes thread was the most entertaining one.

• Like 1

Just now, DConnell said:

Get a projector and paint your wall white! :woot:

I've considered that ;)

We had a house built and it has a large blank white 9 foot wall in the great room.

• Like 2

I wish i had room for a projector. The closest I've come to that is my old 53" rear-projection TV. It was SD, but it was the sharpest SD display I've ever seen!

32-inch-16x9-vs-40-inch-16x9[1].png

Decide how much that is worth to you and whether the money you lose on buying the new one + selling your current one is more or less than that. Nobody can make that judgement call for you.

1 hour ago, metallithrax said:

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

It's not peer pressure. If it looks retarded to have a nice living room but a puny TV, obviously it makes sense to upgrade. It's like wearing two articles of clothing that don't match.

In a way, they are right because when you go to stores, 32" TVs are the smallest size models on display. They may have a few smaller size ones, but the selection is slim to none.

Edited by DaDude

21 minutes ago, DaDude said:

It's not peer pressure. If it looks retarded to have a nice living room but a puny TV, obviously it makes sense to upgrade. It's like wearing two articles of clothing that don't match.

In a way, they are right because when you go to stores, 32" TVs are the smallest size models on display. They may have a few smaller size ones, but the selection is slim to none.

If you were fine with it before they mentioned something and now you are not,  that *is* the very definition of peer pressure. Who cares what your living room looks like if you are happy with it? 

26 minutes ago, DaDude said:

huh? 

how the feck can a tv look retarded.....its for watching tv programs......does it do what you need? Yes, so because your mates say its wrong, your considering replacing, thats peer presure....jeesh :p

Of all the TVs in our household, we have a 32 1080 sammy in PC room, 42" sammy in bedroom and a 47 LG in living room. When the 47 eventually dies off ill replace with a 50+ till then, ill stick with a 47 thanks.  

• Like 2

We have a 22" in the living room, and I don't give a flying one what anyone else thinks.  I have friends/family with larger TV's, but it isn't a problem.  We can go upto 40" in our room without moving things around, and we will do it when we are ready not when someone says out TV looks stupid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaDude said:

It's not peer pressure. If it looks retarded to have a nice living room but a puny TV, obviously it makes sense to upgrade.

Then why are you even posting this topic?

• Like 2