Microsoft now sharing Windows 10 telemetry data with third party

"Microsoft has begun to share telemetry data collected from computers running Windows 10 with a third-party company, according to reports today. Security firm FireEye will have access to data from "every" Windows 10 device as part of a new partnership.

The policy change was reported by Australian news site ARN yesterday."

...and so it begins

So they will be sharing windows defender telemetry data? The same service in versions of Windows other than 10, once called Security Essentials? 

Do you understand it is for Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection ? 

I get the desire for sensationalism but this data collection  can be turned off and the concern has nothing to do with windows 10 specifically past that is what can use the enhanced protection. It is a bigger issue than any one version of an OS. Any OS using Defender or MSE is a data source. 

I know this sounds really scary folks, but if you peel away the layers of media sensationalism, it's suddenly not quite as bad as it seems. Unless someone would care to point out where it deals with anything other than data collected by Defender? I know that is what people are assuming but I saw no mention of it. 

Sharing telemetry != all data collected by Windows 10. 

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

So they will be sharing windows defender telemetry data? The same service in versions of Windows other than 10, once called Security Essentials? 

Do you understand it is for Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection ? 

I get the desire for sensationalism but this data collection  can be turned off and the concern has nothing to do with windows 10 specifically past that is what can use the enhanced protection. It is a bigger issue than any one version of an OS. Any OS using Defender or MSE is a data source. 

I know this sounds really scary folks, but if you peel away the layers of media sensationalism, it's suddenly not quite as bad as it seems. Unless someone would care to point out where it deals with anything other than data collected by Defender? I know that is what people are assuming but I saw no mention of it. 

Sharing telemetry != all data collected by Windows 10. 

It i the policy change that worries me, not Windows defender data, though I have no idea what Windows defender sends home as it is able to sift through contents of everything.

50 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

It i the policy change that worries me, not Windows defender data, though I have no idea what Windows defender sends home as it is able to sift through contents of everything.

I don't think there is a policy change at all. I think it is Defender specific telemetry and it kinda makes sense to share it with the other company considering what they are doing. 

Time will tell I guess. I wish you would have linked the original article instead of the biased source with an apparent agenda. It changes the dynamic for discussion. This thread will likely devolve to troll posts. 

8 hours ago, Torolol said:

well, i did said before collecting & storing the telemetry data aren't free... and Microsoft want profits.

Hey bud, u don't get nothing for free, espically from micro$oft, I knew there had to be a catch, spying its called

8 minutes ago, starman3344 said:

That's because you've all been sucked in by Microsoft 

No, I just happen to have respect for all developers and do not believe in piracy. If you can't afford something, use an alternative. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

No, I just happen to have respect for developers and do not believe in piracy. If you can't afford something, use an alternative. 

Alternative like...actually, I've got a legit os but I used shut up 10 to disable the data collection

2 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

MacOS

If he can't afford windows 10, I'm not sure that is viable. 

12 minutes ago, starman3344 said:

Alternative like...actually, I've got a legit os but I used shut up 10 to disable the data collection

Nice stealth edit. 

So so you have a legit OS but recommend others pirate it? You don't make sense. 

Using a telemetry blocking program was never part of what I was saying to you. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

I don't think there is a policy change at all. I think it is Defender specific telemetry and it kinda makes sense to share it with the other company considering what they are doing. 

Time will tell I guess. I wish you would have linked the original article instead of the biased source with an apparent agenda. It changes the dynamic for discussion. This thread will likely devolve to troll posts. 

This was the best article I found on the subject, as imho, it is completely unbiased, just connects previously available bits of information into one well written article. On a side note I expect quite few security software vendors going bananas over FireEye deal, not just Kaspersky.

15 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

This was the best article I found on the subject, as imho, it is completely unbiased, just connects previously available bits of information into one well written article. On a side note I expect quite few security software vendors going bananas over FireEye deal, not just Kaspersky.

It is definitely not unbiased. Read the source they credited. http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/610583/can-fireeye-change-cyber-security-stakes-through-microsoft-partnership/

It paints a very different story. What you linked draws a lot of conclusions without having all the details. I'm not blaming you; it is the typical media spin. When you trace back the sources, you get to see just how much they draw their own conclusions. 

44 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

It is definitely not unbiased. Read the source they credited. http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/610583/can-fireeye-change-cyber-security-stakes-through-microsoft-partnership/

It paints a very different story. 

That is just the news, the fore mentioned is an article based on the news and previous information related to the subject, like I said. The journalist sat down and thought through what it actually means and how it reflects on Windows 10 policy and data sharing. If You think it means something else please write it down.

Edited by Yogurth

3 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

That is just the news, the fore mentioned is an article based on the new and previous information related to the subject, like I said. The journalist sat down and thought through what it actually means and how it reflects on Windows 10 policy and data sharing. If You think it means something else please write it down.

I already said what I felt it means above, why type it out again? By the way, you just defined bias. The journalist is calling it something he/she thinks it is. Is it an op-ed piece? If. It not then conclusions (especially ones with partial data) have no place in it. 

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

I already said what I felt it means above, why type it out again? By the way, you just defined bias. The journalist is calling it something he/she thinks it is. Is it an op-ed piece? If. It not then conclusions have no place in it. 

It is called an opinion, not bias. He has no agenda in his article.

2 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

It is called an opinion, not bias. He has no agenda in his article.

Everyone has an agenda with an opinion piece. It wouldn't be an opinion piece if they didn't. 

1 minute ago, Yogurth said:

I'm not going to argue with you any further. It is a biased article and that is all there is to it. Not agreeing is your prerogative, but doesn't change the truth of it. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I'm not going to argue with you any further. It is a biased article and that is all there is to it. Not agreeing is your prerogative, but doesn't change the truth of it. 

You crack me up :) i do agree however that our discussion leads to no conclusion and thus is utterly unimportant to this thread.

4 hours ago, Danielx64 said:

MacOS

Desktop expensive, can't be upgraded easily. If monitor fails you have to take the whole computer in for repairs and can't just replace monitor