Error loading XML

Question

I have been using Arcsoft Photoimpression 6 for many years. I got it on a disc with an old printer I bought years ago, but it is very simple and I love it. Anyway the past few months when I click on the icon on the desktop to open the program I get  ERROR LOADING XML.  Then underneath that I get the following.  Error oxccoce502 on line 1, position 26.  Reason:  A string lateral was expected, but no opening quote character was found.   If I click on OK, the program does open, but I have had issues with it. The program is  on my main computer running Windows 10., but I also installed it on two other computers at home here, also running Windows 10. and it runs great. I never get that message when opening the program on those two other computers. I have tried removing the program from my computer, and then running CCleaner to remove all traces of the program, and then I reinstalled. I have done this at least four times, and I continue to get the same error message. I have tried using the Photo program that is included with Windows 10. I even have a copy of Paint Shop Pro, but that is way to complex for me. Photo Impression 6 has been discontinued many years ago, so I can't even buy another disc. But Like I said earlier, I have a disc with the program on from when I bought an Epson printer many years ago. Any suggestions ??  I really like that program. Now I find myself copying the pictures I want to edit or print to one of the other computers so I can use Photo Impression 6, but that is stupid. Arcsoft replaced Photo Impression 6 with another program. I downloaded a trial version of it, but do not like it. Suggestions please.  Thanks,  Mike

1 answer to this question

Are there any config.xml or settings.xml type files inside the applications directory structure? If so, pop them open with Notepad++, and using the XML Tools plug-in for N++ run the "Check XML syntax now" feature. It'll throw up any formatting issues (non-terminated comments are the usual kind of thing to trip apps up) 

The top of every .XML file should also have something like 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

If there aren't any config files in the directory or sub-directories of your application, then they might be in the Windows folders. You can use something like this https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 to see what files are being accessed when the application loads.