Mac OS Sierra upgrade eligablity

So I was looking at Mac OS Sierra system eligibility  requirements. I found out that apple supports it running on any Mac mini 2010 BUT does not let it run on iMac 2008 model. I found out the iMac 2008 model even though 2 years older than 2010 mac mini because iMacs come with higher specs and then trickle down to the mac mini series years later that the iMac 2008 has MORE powerfull specs than the Mac Mini 2010.

So why will Apple not let Mac OS Sierra run on iMac 2008 with higher specs and let it run on Mac Mini 2010??

Does Apple just say FU to its c ustomers who buy more powerfull machines with good specs for the time and when the 5 or 6 years is up just say to bad your machine is old and even though its more pwerfull then a newer one we are going to kick you to the curb to buy another one?? This is just a guess of mine.

Does anyone know if this is the true reason or what is?

Edited by nukenorman

I'd guess the reason they obsolete certain hardware is that there are more cons than pros when it comes to installing macOS on unsupported hardware. 

That being said, I've ran Yosemite on a '08 MacBook with no issues at all, and there's instructions on how to install Sierra on your hardware out there if you look for it.

Thanks for your reply but it still does not answer my question.

Why would Apple support OS Sierra on Mac Mini 2010 that has lower hardware specs then the older iMac 2008 but even though it is older it has more powerfull specs and CPU than Mac Mini 2010 since mac mini is designed as entry mac and that the older iMac 2008 still has higher specs.

Because (as with many manufacturers who spec various options), Apple draw a line in the sand based upon a baseline model.  Come on, you've been on here long enough to know things like this.  You're just posting to attempt to make a point.

1 hour ago, nukenorman said:

Thanks for your reply but it still does not answer my question.

Why would Apple support OS Sierra on Mac Mini 2010 that has lower hardware specs then the older iMac 2008 but even though it is older it has more powerfull specs and CPU than Mac Mini 2010 since mac mini is designed as entry mac and that the older iMac 2008 still has higher specs.

I understand this completely even though I just bought my first mac about 1 month ago and have been mostly happy with it

( been a windows and on an off linux user for years ). I know Apple wants to make the standard high and I have no problem with it. 

What I do not understand if Apple is going to draw a line it should theoretically cut off mac min 2010 if they are going to cut off iMac 2008 because the iMacs 2008s are more powerfull specs . The iMac 2008 would give a better OS Sierra experience then the supported Mac Mini 2010 right now. 

So sure the iMac 2008 is older than the Mac Mini 2010 but actually the older mac min has newer technology the the 2010 mac mini as iMacs come out with more advanced specs and it takes about 2 to 3 years for it to trickle down to the mac mini line. 

Not trying to bash Apple at all but im looking at it from a logical standpoint.

Ignoring the fact that it has been explained that spec isn't the only thing that affects this?

You run Apple, you have a service department that has to support 500 different SKU's.  There comes a time when you need to trim off the older SKU's because here's a thing - it's a company that makes a profit, and it doesn't do this by continuing to support every model ever made, whether capable to run an OS or not.

Ok I will  buy that answer and it does make sense looking at it from a technically support standpoint  and ty for the response. I did not look at it that way since I never really call tech support ( neowin is much better and faster :) )

I guess for me as a consumer since I like to run the latest OS for security updates etc that it would be wise for me to buy a new mac mini ( even if it has lesser specs and slower ) then for me to buy a more powerfull iMac that is 1 or 2 models behind in the next future I buy another mac.

I just bought this mac mini seemed like a good deal to me mid 2011 model with 8 gigs ram and 240 gig SSD for only 360 USD and it came with box like it was brand new. With the upgrades it is really fast and I like it. With this much amount of ram and SSD HD a new mac mini would of almost cost me about 800 even though a refresh is around the corner next year possibly . By looking at the OS patterns I should be able to get possibly 1 more OS update. Didn't want to blow a fortune incase I did not like it but now I have been using this mini as my full time OS now. 

Never really downloaded anything on my windows PC but got viruses in the past like ransomeware and even annoying spyware adware driver update pop ups that I know was not part of windows. Just found that out to be way to scary. After having my CC numbers stolen more than once  and paypal compromised I decided it was time to try Mac ( POSIX Unix platform ) no bloatware and less viruses.  Linux always had Graphics card issues so that was a no go for my main OS.

Edited by nukenorman

I use many OSes and have not once fallen prey to virus, trojan, ransomware and the likes within the last 18 years. Windows security  is as secure and safe as the weakest link. Hint: that isn't the OS.