Minecraft Multiplayer Help

I'm a few years late but just started playing Minecraft on the PC. I'm hooked and now I want my buddy to play. Is it really this difficult to play multiplayer from his house to my house? We haven't tried it yet but I'm preparing for us to play. I'm going into this thinking I need to do the following:

1) Create a new world.

2) Create a seed.

3) Give my friend my IP address and the seed. I imagine the port is the same.

I went searching for how to handle the port with my router. I imagine I need to open the port for him to connect correct?

These videos are insane I'm seeing out there. Talking about installing Evo software and such. I just want to start a game with me and my friend and play for a few hours. Right now I'm not interested in creating a dedicated server. We'll just have to play when I start the game world for now.

Is it really as difficult as people are making out? I may want to tell him to hold off from purchasing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think you either need a VPN for LAN games (LAN doesn't work across the internet) or a server, either a hosting company or Realms.

If it's the Windows 10 version you may only need to have the other player listed as a gaming friend but I could be wrong about that.

Just FYI. Had to download Minecraftserver.exe from their site. Very small file with a single Java command to launch. Also needed to open the single port on my router. Worked perfectly. Just played for over 5 hours.

Keep in mind unless you have a static I P then the address will change.

I like to use Hamachi which helps alleviate that problem :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk