Dune (2021)

17 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I can't really agree completely with this. My first introduction to the Dune universe WAS the Lynch movie.  I enjoyed it so much it prompted me to seek out the books which opened my eyes as to what the movie was trying to do, and well... You see my nick, avatar and sig! ;) 

but you are agreeing with me in essence, the Books flesh out what just cant be done on film, so understanding the world better through the written word is my entire point,  whether you see the movie first, or read the book first, you need both in your life.

Its like the LOTR, the movies are good, the books are better and flesh it out more than the movies ever could.

The film gives  a better picture of what Herbert was trying to describe in the books.  (if its done right anyway)

17 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

but you are agreeing with me in essence, the Books flesh out what just cant be done on film, so understanding the world better through the written word is my entire point,  whether you see the movie first, or read the book first, you need both in your life.

Its like the LOTR, the movies are good, the books are better and flesh it out more than the movies ever could.

The film gives  a better picture of what Herbert was trying to describe in the books.  (if its done right anyway)

One thing that's always bothered me with the original movie is that though Lynch gets a lot of flack for its changes, most people aren't aware that Herbert actually worked quite closely with Lynch and was actually ON SET for a lot of the shooting.  So although there were differences, they were differences the original creator approved of.

It didn't deserve to get Smithee'd...  The unofficial extended cut ruined it IMO.

I didnt mind the Lynch movie, it changed a few things, but got much of it right, and was likely what the world wanted at the time.

The SciFi TV series skimmed over important parts, and got others right.

One thing that annoyed me bout the SciFi series was their omission of the irregular walk thats so ingrained into the books.  it's important!

I didnt like the rain ending of Lynchs movie though, that was just strange and completely unnecessary.

So I have a book, film and TV series to watch before this comes out..got it lol

Trailer look great and I don't even know the lore.

Unless something's changed this is just part 1 of a 2 movie setup.  So they're taking the book and making 2 movies from what I remember.  Plus there's the side story/prequel tv series unless that's not in the works anymore?

Either way, if one movie isn't enough to cover things for one book, maybe 2 movies will do?  

On 11/09/2020 at 09:18, George P said:

Either way, if one movie isn't enough to cover things for one book, maybe 2 movies will do?  

It's a pretty big book that would really need a 4 hour movie to do it any kind of justice.  A 2 parter would mean less rush to the story BUT part 2 would rely on part 1 being a big enough hit to be made, which is kinda risky, especially right now with theaters closed...

5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

It's a pretty big book that would really need a 4 hour movie to do it any kind of justice.  A 2 parter would mean less rush to the story BUT part 2 would rely on part 1 being a big enough hit to be made, which is kinda risky, especially right now with theaters closed...

True, but everyone is hungry for the next GoT hit, in some fashion.    I killed some time the day after the trailer hit and saw some YT reaction vids, many of them are people who know nothing about Dune but from what little I've seen, the trailer managed to get them interested without giving them much story details or any real spoilers.    The large scale and great looking visuals + action set pieces, should be enough to get non-fans to go check it out.  Of course it helps if the fans love it and bang the drum to.

This is from the 10th, few days old but always interesting to hear from the cast and director.  My hype is growing, god I hope it doesn't get delayed but who knows?!?!?

I remember my parents telling me that when they went to see the original movie at the theater they gave them a companion guide to go with it to help people understand all the terms.

Anyways I think it looks good but I have my doubts how well a movie like this is going to do in 2020, or any movie for that matter.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, George P said:

Well, so much for that, the spice will have to wait another year before it can start to flow.

Damn.... Well, I can't say I'm too surprised but with this, and the new Bond movie delayed, along with all the others... If it carries on then Hollywood is going to be the one that killed the theatres, not Covid.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Late in posting this, came out yesterday but I forgot to update the thread here.   Looking epic IMO.

• Like 2

• Brandon H changed the title to Dune (2021)

I don't know much about Dune, never read the books or know much about the existing movies so this will be an interesting first experience for me. trailer looks interesting.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:32, Brandon H said:

I don't know much about Dune, never read the books or know much about the existing movies so this will be an interesting first experience for me. trailer looks interesting.

I read the first 4 books but never went on.  I hope this does really well and we get a long running SW type series going.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:47, warwagon said:

Honestly I hate an all star cast, it takes me out of the movie. I would prefer not to recognize a single person.

That could be a issue if the script/store is average or weak.  I don't think I'll have a issue but I'm already going in as a fan of Dune so that could cloud things.  The movie looks amazing though.

On 23/07/2021 at 20:16, hagjohn said:

They are going to have to go a long way to beat the Dune 2000 mini series.

What, with their obvious sound studio sets? :p  Just IMO, but they've already beaten that show just by having actors for Paul and Chani that LOOK the right age...  Don't get me wrong, I love the mini series (Hell, look at my avatar!), but the set production wasn't good and a lot of the acting was... questionable.  Well, except for Ian McNeice who was amazing as the Baron!

On 27/07/2021 at 09:27, FloatingFatMan said:

What, with their obvious sound studio sets? :p  Just IMO, but they've already beaten that show just by having actors for Paul and Chani that LOOK the right age...  Don't get me wrong, I love the mini series (Hell, look at my avatar!), but the set production wasn't good and a lot of the acting was... questionable.  Well, except for Ian McNeice who was amazing as the Baron!

That was so long ago and the Sci-fi channel was small back then, doubt they had money to do anything more than what they did.    Until these big streaming companies showed up few networks wanted to go all in on scifi and fantasy because you know right from the start the budgets are going to be big.   Then HBO wrecked ratings shop with GoT and everyone is scrambling to do anything that's got a established fanbase behind it.  Like Dune, and we're also finally getting Wheel of Time to.

On 27/07/2021 at 02:27, FloatingFatMan said:

I'm not overly critical when I watch a movie, unless it is a very bad. Most movies have flaws but if I'm entertained, I will like it. This movie I liked.

On 27/07/2021 at 20:06, hagjohn said:

I'm not overly critical when I watch a movie, unless it is a very bad. Most movies have flaws but if I'm entertained, I will like it. This movie I liked.

Movie? Do you mean the 2 mini-series SyFy made, or the 1984 Lynch movie?  This new one isn't out yet, not even on "alternative cinema". :p

On 27/07/2021 at 15:22, FloatingFatMan said:

Movie? Do you mean the 2 mini-series SyFy made, or the 1984 Lynch movie?  This new one isn't out yet, not even on "alternative cinema". :p

Yeah, sorry, I just got off a 14 hr shift. Yes, the 2 part mini-series. I liked it.  The Children of Dune was okay. I didn't think it was as good as the Dune mini-series but it was enjoyable.

On 27/07/2021 at 20:31, hagjohn said:

Yeah, sorry, I just got off a 14 hr shift. Yes, the 2 part mini-series. I liked it.  The Children of Dune was okay. I didn't think it was as good as the Dune mini-series but it was enjoyable.

As a show, it was fine and as I said, Ian McNeice was amazing as the Baron, but the sets were just cheaper than cheap. Even the BBC were doing better in the 70's... A lot of the acting leaved a bit to be desired too, but hell, it's Dune.  It'll do until something better comes along!

Children of Dune was a big dissapointment... They got the ages of Ghanima and Leto II COMPLETELY wrong, and that was really annoying...

• 2 months later...

For those that have watched the movie and have had sleepless nights wondering where the Dune's Desert mouse sound came from  ... wonder no more ...

Dani's interview with Dune's sound designer, Mark Mangini.

...just found it neat that a wildlife photographer/YouTuber had part of their work placed in a movie.

After watching the Dune 2021, I have to say that I don't hate it. I think the 2nd part is going make or break it, of course. Hopefully it is as good.