SQL query - need some help

Question

Hi guys. I need some help with a damn sql query that I can't seem to make it work. It should be easy, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

So, I have a table with a few columns that is editable by users on the front-end. Each user sees only his entries. The first column is the user's ID (I'm on Wordpress, by the way). Next, I'm trying to do a query that will pull all the data submitted by users and output it into a "public" table. Everything is fine, except that I want the table to show the user's name instead of the ID. I've read a little and it seems I can do this with a INNER JOIN on that query, but I can't get it to work, I constantly get sql statement errors when trying to save the damn thing. Somehow I need to link the user_nicename column from wp_users to the ID column and output the name instead of the id.

Any help? Thank you!

P.S. Here's how my query looks like, and it doesn't work (the JOIN part):

SELECT wp_table_1.userID,
       wp_table_1.date,
       wp_table_1.name,
       wp_table_1.input1,
       wp_table_1.input2,
FROM wp_table_1
SELECT wp_users.user_nicename, wp_table_1.name
FROM wp_users
JOIN wp_table_1
ON wp_users.ID=wp_table_1.name

7 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, TDT said:

Hi guys. I need some help with a damn sql query that I can't seem to make it work. It should be easy, but I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. 

So, I have a table with a few columns that is editable by users on the front-end. Each user sees only his entries. The first column is the user's ID (I'm on Wordpress, by the way). Next, I'm trying to do a query that will pull all the data submitted by users and output it into a "public" table. Everything is fine, except that I want the table to show the user's name instead of the ID. I've read a little and it seems I can do this with a INNER JOIN on that query, but I can't get it to work, I constantly get sql statement errors when trying to save the damn thing. Somehow I need to link the user_nicename column from wp_users to the ID column and output the name instead of the id.

Any help? Thank you!

P.S. Here's how my query looks like, and it doesn't work (the JOIN part):

wp_table_1.date,
       wp_table_1.name,
       wp_table_1.input1,
       wp_table_1.input2,
FROM wp_table_1
SELECT wp_users.user_nicename, wp_table_1.name
FROM wp_users
JOIN wp_table_1
ON wp_users.ID=wp_table_1.name

I can't imagine that join working unless the database is really that poorly designed. Are those two columns even the same data types?

22 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

I can't imagine that join working unless the database is really that poorly designed. Are those two columns even the same data types?

What do you mean? It's a basic table, with a few columns. As for the Wordpress users table, how would I know if it's poorly designed? :) About the data type, not realy. The one in my table is automatic, it just adds the user ID (each user that submits an entry). The Wordpress one is the user's name. Should I create another column in my table and join that one with the one in wp_users?

11 minutes ago, TDT said:

What do you mean? It's a basic table, with a few columns. As for the Wordpress users table, how would I know if it's poorly designed? :) About the data type, not realy. The one in my table is automatic, it just adds the user ID (each user that submits an entry). The Wordpress one is the user's name. Should I create another column in my table and join that one with the one in wp_users?

You should be joining the tables on a column that they both share, preferably with one them being a primary key and the other a foreign key. They don't need to be named the same but good design suggests they should at least be apparent that they are related. 

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

You should be joining the tables on a column that they both share, preferably with one them being a primary key and the other a foreign key. They don't need to be named the same but good design suggests they should at least be apparent that they are related. 

But there is one that both tables share, the ID table. My output shows the correct id with its own entries, but how on earth do I replace that ID with the user's name? 

Id think it would be something more like

wp_table_1.date,
       wp_table_1.name,
       wp_table_1.input1,
       wp_table_1.input2,
       wp_users.user_nicename
FROM wp_table_1
JOIN wp_table_1
ON wp_users.ID=wp_table_1.userID

you need to have a matching UserID (key-int) column in your users table, along with a matching column in your data table... and the join must be on that field.

SELECT table2.UserName,
       table1.date,
       table1.input1,
       table1.input2,
FROM table1
INNER JOIN table2
ON Table1.UserID = Table2.UserID
Where Table2.UserName like 'Value'