winxp compatibility mode drops framerate to unplayable levels

I'm kind of at my wit's end trying to get a certain game to work right and I feel like I've exhausted all of the relevant forums on the Internet, so maybe I can get some more generic help here.

The game in question is Megadimension Neptunia VII and the general problem is that it crashes frequently and randomly. I've tried various "solutions", including - 

1. Steam game cache verification.
2. Complete uninstall/re-install.
3. Running in XP SP3 compatibility mode - not sure if this actually works long-term because it drops my FPS to like 5 after a few minutes of playing, so it's unplayable either way.
4. Different codec packs - K-lite, Kawaii, CCCP.
5. Many combinations of in-game graphics settings.
6. Rolling my GPU drivers back to an earlier version.

The game continues to crash frequently and randomly with access violations after doing any of the above *except* for #3. However, the problem is as noted above - when I run this game in compatibility mode (any compatibility mode), the framerate begins to drop severely shortly after the game is launched, becoming an unplayable slideshow after several minutes. It doesn't crash though.

Anybody have any idea why compatibility mode would wreck the framerate for a game in such a way? Kind of a longshot question I guess... maybe somebody has seen something similar in the past for some other game and is aware of a workaround, or at least a reason?

I'm running Win10 64-bit w/ a GTX 980 Ti, Core i7 6400k, and 16GB DDR4.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, farmeunit said:

Yeah, I've read all of those threads.

Kind of a lose/lose - either the game is stable but runs like a slideshow (compatibility mode), or the game is smooth but crashes constantly (no compatibility mode).