iPhone 7 was stolen but I think I did it wrong

I lost my iPhone 7 on the first of this year. I thought I left the phone in Uber which I went home with a "so called" friend. The next morning, I use Find my iPhone on iCloud.com. It could not find a signal. I needed a phone and My iPhone Upgrade Program does not replace lost or stolen phones. I went to my T-Mobile store and got a new phone because I use my phone and if anyone finds it than I could return the T-Mobile one within 14 days. If I could not find it then I could always use the new phone. Yesterday, I got a message on my new iPhone that someone wants to Authorize my old iPhone which it shows the location of the phone. I push "No" but didn't take a screenshot of the Find My iPhone message, thinking that I could go on my iCloud.com account to see the location. The location was shown in Lima, Lima which is in Peru. I need an email saying that my iPhone was erase on Jan 3rd. That location is the place that my "so call" goes to visit and find out that he is there now visiting. So I know he stole it. What are my options now that I know my "so called" friend stole my phone but don't have any proof that he took it because iCloud.com does not have the location on my old phone. I didn't remove my old phone on my iCloud.com account. Should I do a police report? Also, I called Apple Support and they told me that the phone should no longer work but my IMEI number is not blacklisted.

Edited by ACTIONpack

11 minutes ago, ACTIONpack said:

So, I lost my iPhone 7 Jan 1st of this year. Yea I know, its going to be a bad year I feel it. Anyway, I had it with me when I was in the uber car. When I got home, I could not find the phone anyway. So I don't remember what I set it to when I lost my iPhone but I needed a phone for work which I'm a freelancer. Anyway, I get a new phone from T-Mobile thinking that if I found my phone within 14 days I can return the phone I got. Well, yesterday I found out my lost iPhone was trying to be use and was asking me if that the location if me or not and to Authorize the iPhone. I believe I push no. I get an email that my iPhone was erase on Jan 3rd. If I knew that the location was the only time I would have seen it than I would have took a screenshot. Because I know who stolen. I'm going to the police to report it stolen but because I don't have that location of the screenshot I can't provide the person who was with me stole it because he goes to this country all the time. Should I still do a police report?

Not sure if you can logon to your cloud online and few any location history.   Link below may be helpful.  May be helpful to call Apple support.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

If you remotely wipe your phone, it can no longer be tracked.

That said, your phone is still iCloud locked (unless you've released it) and cannot be used.

If you believe something was stolen from you, file a Police report so there is a record of it. Also contact your carrier and let them know. Use the online iCloud portal to report the phone as stolen and lock it.

• Like 2

Sorry guys. I know my writing was bad. I did a complete edit on it and should make more sense now.

I'd confront your friend and tell him you have proof (regardless of if you do or not) and demand it be returned, otherwise you'll be pursuing charges in reference to a police report number. If you tell him you'll drop the matter after he returns it, he'll be more inclined to do so. Afterwards, if I were you, I'd throw him to the curb and not speak to him again, possibly after giving him a black eye.

You can also call Apple Customer service for assistance in tracking down said phone, do not remotely wipe it though, chances are though he did that for you as you're getting e-mails to activate it.

Edited by shockz

Wow... nice friend you have there.

Sadly, I don't think there is much the police can do, as they would need solid evidence that your friend took it. Even if the location was in Peru and your friend was there, its not proof that he took it and as such, he could simply say its a coincidence.

As @shockz has said, confront your friend and if\when he admits it, make him pay the money for the new one and then drop him.

21 hours ago, xendrome said:

I literally have NO idea what you just said.

C'mon it wasn't that hard to understand, lol
His friend stole his phone and he wants to know what he can do about it without any hard evidence.
EDIT: Ok it seems he had a poorly written version the first time around so thats probably what you read, not the edited post he fixed up afterwards. My bad!

4 minutes ago, este said:

C'mon it wasn't that hard to understand, lol
His friend stole his phone and he wants to know what he can do about it without any hard evidence.

C'mon was it so hard for you to read the previous comments and see the OP edited the post AFTER the comment you quoted?

21 hours ago, ACTIONpack said:

Sorry guys. I know my writing was bad. I did a complete edit on it and should make more sense now.

Just now, oldtimefighter said:

C'mon was it so hard for you to read the previous comments and see the OP edited the post AFTER the comment you quoted?

Yea I'll admit I didnt read all of the comments. My bad.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ACTIONpack said:

Its still a little hard to read - regardless.

OK - here is the deal. 

Your phone is in Peru - if it comes back - then and only then would your local PD even have the slightest chance.

If you report it - chances are - maybe in a year or 2 - the cops will get around to asking about your phone.

You have 1 chance of getting this phone - and it is by you confronting your "friend"

However you have multiple ways of getting it from your friend - the tactic you use to confront your thief/friend is up to you.

EDIT:

Actually, if you confront your friend, but ask the cops to accompany you - then you might get some kind of faster resolution - but chances are GA cops arent going to care - their hands are full.

18 minutes ago, Rippleman said:

since icloud is still on, lock it. I don't see you getting the phoneback, so lock it so its a paperwieght.

It basically *is* a paperweight now.

The guy who has it now restored it, and since find my iphone was never disabled by real owner (OP), it won't ever function unless OP puts password into setup prompts to bypass find my iphone.

One of the reasons when trading a phone into something like Gazelle requires you turn find my iphone off.

I could always sue him. But the problem is that I didn't take a screenshot of the activated screenshot of find my iphone app popup. Didn't think about doing it until I got said no. Which means that I could sue him in small court and showing the proof that he was in Peru and the iPhone was there at the time.

The only money I will get back is on my taxes as a write off. I'm a freelance. :-/

1 minute ago, shockz said:

We're all still not sure if you confronted him yet? Have you? If not, why not?

No because he is in Peru.

1 hour ago, shockz said:

It basically *is* a paperweight now.

The guy who has it now restored it, and since find my iphone was never disabled by real owner (OP), it won't ever function unless OP puts password into setup prompts to bypass find my iphone.

One of the reasons when trading a phone into something like Gazelle requires you turn find my iphone off.

the way I am reading it, the phone is not yet restored. and also because of :  Yesterday, I got a message on my new iPhone that someone wants to Authorize my old iPhone - this is just someone trying to readd the existing icloud to some service.

It wouldn't never get to this point if the person wasn't already in the phone, - which is why if the guy IS in the phone the OP should go make it a paperwieght instead of letting him use it.