IE 11 Security Certificate Issue

Hello I have a friend who is having an issue I cannot resolve at the moment. He is on Windows 10 using IE11. He opens up IE with 3 home pages in tabs and one is Yahoo Spain.

The issue is the following. He always get prompted for security certificate and it does not let him proceed anywhere on the web. I imported for the moment his favorites into Chrome so he can use something but wants to use IE. The certificate points to something call optimatic.com. 

I have done extensive Google search but no luck in finding a solution. Has any one come across this before and found a fix? Please let me know. 7 days now and annoying. I have unchecked the check for server revocation, cleared SSL state, etc and nothing.

Thanks for any help

has there been a virus scan performed recently and was anything 'repaired'?

Given that Optimatic is an Advertising firm (from what i gather on google) this to me seems like there may have been (or still is) a virus that corrupted some system files.

can you drill through the Certificates store and manually delete that cert?

Start - Run - 'mmc.exe'

File - Add/Remove Snap-in

Choose Certificates - Add - Computer Acct - Local Computer

hows the system clock and system date? 

Ive seen cert issues when the cmos battery wasnt discharging correctly, causing the RTC to be whacked out of synch.

Quite unlikely, although brandon and jason could be onto something more likely tbh. 

Thanks guys for the replies. I had never seen that issue before and was stumped. The clock seems fine from what I recall but I plan to remote in tonight to check. I did scan with Malwarebytes and found a few things but they were removed.

I will try that MMC.exe you tell me. Will I see optimatic in the store?

10 minutes ago, sc302 said:

If malwarebytes came up with something, don't stop there.  It isn't the end all be all anti malware. 

Hitman pro

eset online scanner

Get a boot cd with antivirus and do offline scan (kaspersky has one, not sure about eset though).

2 hours ago, Max said:

Try scanning with AdwCleaner. Very quick and very effective.

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Damn forgot about that program. It s very good. I will try that also.  Boot CD Antivirus also can help

What is being prompted??  He is being prompted that he doesn't trust a cert?

Sounds more like just doesn't have a CA that some site is using?  What do you mean does not let him proceed?

13 hours ago, flynempire said:

Thanks guys for the replies. I had never seen that issue before and was stumped. The clock seems fine from what I recall but I plan to remote in tonight to check. I did scan with Malwarebytes and found a few things but they were removed.

I will try that MMC.exe you tell me. Will I see optimatic in the store?

Time might be ok, but check the date too. This threw me only a couple of weeks ago on a user machine where the time was right. After doing loads of techy stuff it turned out the date was set to 1996 for some reason.

1 hour ago, restroom said:

Time might be ok, but check the date too. This threw me only a couple of weeks ago on a user machine where the time was right. After doing loads of techy stuff it turned out the date was set to 1996 for some reason.

Now you know, when getting certificate errors, the time and date is the very first thing to check.

When opens IE 11 the certificate starts popping up and he cant go anywhere as the popup for the certificate is constant. He does not get this in any other browser.

I am going to do a remote with him hopefully today and try the suggestions given to me. I will post the results.

I will do that

I know Windows 10 is supposed to help prevent this now but I'd check the HOST file as well to make sure none of the malware that was removed had made entries.

I checked there and found nothing. I even went into the Internet Settings for IE to see if a proxy address was in there and it was blank

6 minutes ago, flynempire said:

I checked there and found nothing. I even went into the Internet Settings for IE to see if a proxy address was in there and it was blank

in that case have you tried the 'reset IE' option under Advanced?

Could try a System Restore if there's one available from before this started as well.

As I can understand wanting to avoid formatting over this I would also recommend booting into a Windows 10 install disc/usb and run an 'sfc /scannow' using the media to try and repair your system files as this still to me sounds like the malware may have corrupted some system files to cause ad popups (based on the ad domain you mentioned in your OP)

Guys thanks again for the links and all the advice. I was able to remote in and perform several things.

#1 The system clock and time on the machine is absolutely fine so that is the not the issue.

#2 CHecked HOSTS file and nothing in there. Just the stock file. Also not the issue.

#3 Scans done with AdwCleaner (Now Part Of Malwarebytes), Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes Latest Updates & Comodo Anitvirus Latest Updates.

AdwCleaner Found things and so did Hitman Pro. Malwarebytes and Comodo found nothing. Malwarebytes did find things last time I scanned so it does not surprise me.

I did not do a Reset IE. I was up till 12 midnight and no certificates came up. I surfed all over and no issue.

I want to say this is resolved but I'm having him use IE today and he will get back to me. I did run the Certificates Store but could not find the certificate. I was trying to search for it but no search method there.

Anyone now of a way to find it?

Other than this all is fine at the moment

12 minutes ago, flynempire said:

I did run the Certificates Store but could not find the certificate

What certificate are you looking for??

Personally, before helping your friend I would have him promise NOT to use IE  in the future as it's not an relevant browser option in 2017 otherwise this will be the last time you will help him.

Reset IE and then do a couple of scans with a couple of anti-malware programs. Proceed to setup Chrome or Firefox for him.

Edited by oldtimefighter

Guys stop derailing this topic. I will hand out warns if you keep going. This isn't a discussion about better browsers and what you should and should not be using.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Guys stop derailing this topic. I will hand out warns if you keep going. This isn't a discussion about better browsers and what you should and should not be using.  

AHEM

Support topic, not a browser war discussion.

• Like 2

Ok can you explain more on this optimatic? I have not found much on Google myself.