[US Football] Bears hire Lovie Smith

Now that he's turned around the St. Louis Rams' defense, Lovie Smith is taking on the Chicago Bears.

Smith was hired Wednesday as the Bears' head coach replacing Dick Jauron, fired Dec. 29.

Smith, the Rams' defensive coordinator, will get a four-year deal, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. The contract, reports ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, is worth $5.4 million.

Smith will be introduced at a news conference Thursday. He was in St. Louis on Wednesday and not available for comment.

Article here: Bears Hire Lovie Smith

It's getting slow in here.......just like usual when the NFL slows down....until the NCAA tournament, this is the 'dead period' in sports.

Hmmm, I have this theory...

That most coordinators, especially the very good defensive coordinators, do not make the best choice for a head coach. In my opinion, as a head coach, they will coach defensively, which can be extremely deadly in the NFL. I am curious to see how Jim Mora, Jr. and Lovie Smith do in their head coaching positions. I think it takes someone who can look at both sides of the football. Maybe they can do it, I certainly don't wish them bad luck.

And I am glad Lovie Smith is gone from the Rams, maybe the 49ers can beat those ******s now in St. Louis for once.

good hire by the Bears. I would have liked to have him in Atlanta, but jim mora will be just fine. I think he can turn this team into at least a .500 team next year

I think defensive coordinators can make very fine head coaches. Tony Dungy for one, and I'm not sure if Bellicheck was, but his team is definitely defense first.

The problem I have with this hiring as well as the Falcons is that they've both got promising young QB that will need guidance. If the Bears can get the QB coach from KC to be the OC then I won't mind as much since he's done a terrific job there and knows the STL/KC style O.

The one coaching consideration I would have loved to see the Bears atleast interview was the Titans QB coach Heimerdinger. He's worked with McNair and while he was out, his two backups both had QB ratings over 100. Now that's a man that knows offense.

Good for the bears, maybe they can get back to being good...

OT: the steelers got hosed, almost all their coordinators left (I think 5 of them) for either buffalo or other jobs lol

The bears think they are going to get a Marvin Lewis deal out of this, haha. The problem with that is, the Bears suck, except Urlacher. They draft horribly, Rashaan Salaam, Cade McKnown and all the other RB they draft. Lewis succeded in Cinci right away because they had the talent, just no one drive them and show them how good they were. The Rams won how many Superbowls with Lovey Smith? Oh that's right, none. Hands down the best all around team for about 5 years, the Rams won once. They gave Lewis all the talent to succeed and he couldn't do it. Marvin Lewis and Bill Belichek know defense, Smith is just ok at it.