Unknown program showing up, google says it is a virus/malware

I was doing a routine check of my installed programs and came across a program called REOptimizer from AltoCloud, it is listed as 14.8 GB, but does not appear to have any physical files on the drive. I am using IObit Uninstaller and executing an uninstall yields the result of a quick flash on the screen, and then I am prompted if I wish to a powerful scan, which I tell it to do, but it finds nothing, but the entry remains in the listed of installed programs. Attempting to uninstall via programs and features tells me an error occurred, the program may have been uninstalled and asks if I would like to remove the entry. According the IObit it was installed 12/31/2016 and I have Kaspersky and Malware Bytes installed and running and neither have said anything about this program, however a Google search indicates that it is malware/virus. Should I be worried or can I assume it is gone? I have Process Lasso running and I do not see any unknown processes running.

10 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

You did remove it..Right?

As I stated in the post, I told the program to remove it, but it claims that it did, but remained in the list.

If Kaspersky and MBAM did not find it, then it is probably gone. If you want you can search though your registry for and traces of it, CCleaner has a Reg Clean which I have used many times in Win 10 without issue, just save a backup of it.

I'd look around for it's program directory and see if you find it in one of these locations.

c:\programdata

c:\program files (x86)

c:\program files

c:\users\(username)\appdata\local

c:\users\(username)\appdata\roaming

in those directories arrange the directories by date. 

For good measure you may want to run adwcleaner.

6 hours ago, warwagon said:

I'd look around for it's program directory and see if you find it in one of these locations.

c:\programdata

c:\program files (x86)

c:\program files

c:\users\(username)\appdata\local

c:\users\(username)\appdata\roaming

in those directories arrange the directories by date. 

For good measure you may want to run adwcleaner.

Nothing in those directories, and ADW found one entry in startup that it cleaned.

It is a scareware and rogue program, similar to SPCOptimizer. I'd recommend using a pre-windows environment utility like Kaspersky Rescue Disc or the Avira Boot Disc to ensure it is all cleaned up. Also run TDSS Killer to ensure a rootkit is not present.

here are removal instructions: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/188097-removal-instructions-for-spc-optimizer/

As mentioned in that link, you'll want to check your scheduled tasks, as this particular program adds a scheduled task.

You can try using BulkCrapUninstaller to remove the entry entirely after you are confirmed to be clean.

• Like 2