2015 Patent for Sony Vita successor just made public

Source? http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20009529.html

My work blocks the above URL so I can't verify it works but multiple other sites link to it so I believe it to be the source (it would be nice if I could find a link to the actual patent and not a blog but my google-fu fails me.)  If not could a mod just delete it and this paragraph?

Anyway it's a tablet looking device with like a split dual shock attached to either side.  I don't believe the controllers are removable, the patent doesn't seem to indicate as such in anything I've seen but many are speculating that it may have as it does look very Nintendo Switch like (except from 2015).

I personally suspect the project has been scrapped due to poor Vita sales but it would be interesting if they did indeed release something like that with specs better than the Switch (when undocked).  Of note is that while the controllers don't look like they detach that patent DOES include a mini-HDMI port so it apparently COULD connect to a TV (and likely supported the PS Bluetooth controllers).  Also like the Vita it probably was capable of acting like a controller on a PS4 only it actually had all the shoulder buttons (most notably the triggers) so you didn't have to use the touchpad on the back as a trigger set.

Again I suspect it was scrapped but it would be nice of Sony did release a 64-bit Vita successor that support HEVC for higher quality streaming support with HDMI-out and SD card support (also noted in the patent) instead of those overpriced proprietary memory cards.

16 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

i think the Vita has been out since 2012, right? i think by now we would have known something about a successor. im guessing Sony wont be releasing another.

Again, I agree I personally find it unlikely they'll be releasing another one what with smartphones/tablets severly restricting mobile game system sales (even the 3DS is Nintendo's worst selling mobile) and the failure of the Vita.

To play devils advocate though... if the big thing they wanted to do is add HEVC and 4k streaming support (for maybe something like a PlayStation TV successor use case since it has HDMI-out and for like PlayStation Vue and such) then those still aren't super widespread.  Apple TV still can't even do 4k, Amazon Fire TV does it at 30fps only, etc.  The ATSC is still working on an HDR standard.  Even though it clearly wouldn't be able to play 4k games you could in theory stream games from the PS4 Pro to it using HEVC and watch 4k videos on it when connected to a 4k TV.  Games running on the device itself would obviously be lower resolution though.

Also the PSP came out in 2005 and the Vita came out in 2012 which is a 7 year gap.  If a Vita successor were to have a similar gap it would be due out in late 2018 in Japan and early 2019 in the U.S.   This would likely make the announcement this year or next.  IF they were going to do it, and again I agree they probably are done with the portable market, but IF they were... then announcing it around the time the Switch was coming out would be an ideal time to try to take some thunder from Nintendo who is currently the king of portable gaming devices.