AMD officially launches Ryzen processors

29 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

And it wrong, no wonder why someone who used to post here a lot left.

No idea who this other person is, partly because I don't really care, but without any REAL facts of these chips in the wild, I didn't see any reason to continue debating theories

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

No idea who this other person is, partly because I don't really care, but without any REAL facts of these chips in the wild, I didn't see any reason to continue debating theories

Yep, there is no need for debate, we'll see after 2nd march, who'll take the crown. 

I really hope, AMD beat 'it' this time.

• Like 1

I hope AMD really has something this time.  If they have a real world-beater, I will seriously consider an AMD rig on my next build.

What would be interesting, is if they come out with something truly impressive, and intel reacts by (A) dropping prices, (B) bumping up release dates (C) Come out with some enthusiast-class chip

Regardless, seeing as how AMD mobos are so much cheaper, it would be nice to save $400 on chip/mobo and put that towards something else in a build.

• Like 1

Id love this to be true but it stinks half the price of a comparable intel chip and using less power I suspect this will be a bigger letdown than no mans sky

Edited by TPreston

On 2/22/2017 at 2:51 PM, Crisp said:

1y50j24.png

Shares of AMD fall after gaming performance of new processors disappoints

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/02/shares-of-advanced-micro-devices-fall-after-new-cpu-disappoints-with-gaming-performance-.html

AMD Stock Hammered By Disappointing Game Chip Reviews

http://www.investors.com/news/technology/amd-stock-hammered-by-disappointing-game-chip-reviews/

• Like 2

Boom!

Told ya real world wouldnt match their inflated "claims"

AMD at their best ;) 

"The 1800X lags behind its Intel counterparts in gaming, regardless of whether it's running at the same clock speed or higher. By how much depends on how modern the game is, and how much it tasks the CPU," said the review.

Source:- https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/

25 minutes ago, Mando said:

Boom!

Told ya real world wouldnt match their inflated "claims"

AMD at their best ;) 

Source:- https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/

What are you talking about, its a Winner, Half price and same performance, AMD actually perform better than expectation.

Here Guru3D Review

The introduced processors have been nothing short of impressive looking at them from any perspective. That will bring much needed competition back into the game. Even today at launch, AMD will introduce a processor that can compete with Intel’s 8-core 6900K processor for less than half the price of what Intel is asking.

• Like 3

Day one issues. This is why you never pre-order anything, especially brand new architecture CPUs.

Some of the gaming performance 'issues' seem to come down to the game engines themselves, which likely needs updates for Ryzen (which has been mentioned).

The high frequency DDR4 memory issues seem to be due to rushed BIOS/microcode (and AMD seemingly putting DDR4 support on the backburner while focusing on CPU performance), and there's a fix in the works that *should* be released within a couple months.

Once Ryzen matures a little, I'm sure those benchmarks will improve.

22 hours ago, xendrome said:

Oh noes!

22 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Jumped the gun just a tad early didn't you? ;) 

No?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Boo Berry said:

Day one issues. This is why you never pre-order anything, especially brand new architecture CPUs.

Some of the gaming performance 'issues' seem to come down to the game engines themselves, which likely needs updates for Ryzen (which has been mentioned).

The high frequency DDR4 memory issues seem to be due to rushed BIOS/microcode (and AMD seemingly putting DDR4 support on the backburner while focusing on CPU performance), and there's a fix in the works that *should* be released within a couple months.

Once Ryzen matures a little, I'm sure those benchmarks will improve.

It really depends on the developer.  I doubt a lot developers are going to optimize for Ryzen   there maybe a few and maybe in future we will see more but right Know most will just optimize for Intel. That is the sad truth.

4 minutes ago, Melfster said:

It really depends on the developer.  I doubt a lot developers are going to optimize for Ryzen   there maybe a few and maybe in future we will see more but right Know most will just optimize for Intel. That is the sad truth.

AMD already said they're working with said developers.

23 hours ago, xendrome said:

Don't read to much into those sites. Nvidia stock even dropped.

https://www.google.com/finance?cid=662925

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

AMD already said they're working with said developers.

If AMD is giving developers money to get developers to optimize to their games then yes otherwise don't get your hopes up.

That's what it sounds like they're doing. So I expect to see some optimizations for Ryzen in the future.

It's a damn shame Intel and Nvidia have a near monopoly over everything too. But it's also nice to see AMD coming back in some meaningful way at the same time, as competition is a good thing for us consumers.

4 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

That's what it sounds like they're doing. So I expect to see some optimizations for Ryzen in the future.

It's a damn shame Intel and Nvidia have a near monopoly over everything too. But it's also nice to see AMD coming back in some meaningful way at the same time, as competition is a good thing for us consumers.

Does software like VMware player and video editing software have the same optimization issues as games?

It's also worth noting that it looks like Windows doesn't fully support Ryzen yet either, so that may very well likely be holding back performance as well. I've read stories from ex-Microsoft employees that Intel and Nvidia issues and support were always given top priority by Microsoft whereas AMD issues and support were a secondary priority. But this shouldn't come as any surprise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boo Berry said:

It's also worth noting that it looks like Windows doesn't fully support Ryzen yet either, so that may very well likely be holding back performance as well. I've read stories from ex-Microsoft employees that Intel and Nvidia issues and support were always given top priority by Microsoft whereas AMD issues and support were a secondary priority. But this shouldn't come as any surprise.

Or It could be AMD being lazy. I mean it is very hard now to find mini-itx boards for Ryzen.  I don't think you can blame Microsoft for all performance problems of AMD.

3 minutes ago, Melfster said:

Or It could be AMD being lazy. I mean it is very hard now to find mini-itx boards for Ryzen.  I don't think you can blame Microsoft for all performance problems of AMD.

The mini-ITX chipsets, the 300 series, won't be released until 2ndH17. I'm also waiting for a mini-itx board. It's a new platform. ITX is a niche especially for high performance enthusiasts builds. Just have to wait. That's what I'm waiting for.

1 hour ago, Boo Berry said:

Ryzen lives up to an exceeds expectations for the most part in all but games. And only then, some titles and we're talking 1080p. Who would buy an 6900k or 5960X to game at 1080p. At minimum anyone building a system with that much processing power is going to be at least at 1440p where Ryzen is neck and neck with Intel's 8 core procs.

Titles don't take advantage of multicore much, particularly older titles. That's why faster clocked single core wins. With this much power at half-the intel cost available to the mainstream, I'm sure that will change pretty quickly.

• Like 1